Firasr - July 2023 - Three Little Birds + Hey Joe + Ain't No Sunshine

Thank you Sebastian. Yeah it’s the perfectionist in me :rofl:
Thank you for noticing the changes in strumming, trying to vary it to both get out of my comfort zone and to feel the music more rather than being strictly rigid with the strumming patterns.
Quite enjoying winging it a little :smiley:

1 Like

Congrats on the making and sharing of a first recording, Firas.

All good and keep on keeping on. Bonus points for playing over a drum beat.

I thought recording quality was fine, the tone, level, and balance.

Bravo

1 Like

Thank you David, especially for the recording audio quality feedback. I think I heard the distorted recordings so many times before that final take that they got stuck in my head :rofl:

I’ve been putting the Zoom Multi-Effects Processor to good use. It’s a really versatile little device. Playing along with a drum beat while practicing songs is so much more enjoyable than just a metronome (although I still play with that for my strumming practice).

1 Like

Really good job Firas, as others have said your chord changes look on point, rhythm nice and steady and really nice to mix up the strumming, that adds a great deal to holding interest for the listener.

You generally kept you strumming hand moving to keep tempo which is good practice, I can really lapse from that in some songs!! One little thing to give a go, when you played the off beat section in theory it should be upstrums. Playing as you did still sounded great but give it a try sometime as it sounds quite different.

Congrats on your progress! Oh and never tell us how many takes you’ve done, how are we to know you didn’t smash this first go! :wink:

:clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Thanks Mark! Guess I gave my secret of perfection away. Will have to keep it to myself next time :rofl:

Thank you for the recommendation of trying upstrums. Is that the section with the single strums with the palm mutes? I’ll add that into my song practice and see if I can manage that.

1 Like

Apparently my playing was good enough to be recognized by YouTube as the intended song as it was flagged with “Copyright Claim”. Initially it freaked me out until I understood what it meant thanks to the great discussion and explanations in this thread :joy:

2 Likes

Yes that’s the section, towards the end about 2mins 10sec in.
Sure you’ll be fine with it, it may even feel more natural as your strumming hand basically isn’t changing it’s movement, upstrum is on the “and” normally anyway. It may mess a little with your palm muting from what you may be used to but it’s useful to be able to mute whichever way your hand is moving.
Have fun!!

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. It’s always good to add new skills & tools to our playing. Much appreciated Mark :blush:

1 Like

Well done Firas, that was a good debut AVoYP. A reggae beat is surprisingly difficult to master but you’re on your way. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you Gordon! I was thrilled when I came across Bob Marley songs in the early lessons of the course, and had to have a go at playing them :blush:

I’m really glad that I did. It taught me different strumming patterns, off-beat strumming, and palm muting, among other things.

Congratulation on posting your first recording. Seemed good to me you kept your strumming hand moving all the time so the rhythm was good.

1 Like

Much appreciated Trevor :blush:

Having Justin repeating “keep your strumming hand moving” in almost every lesson of the Strumming SOS course must’ve sunk in :grin:

Very good basics, strong sense of rythm, and a great benchmark song for you to revisit as your technique progresses! looking forward to many more recordings from you Firas!

1 Like

Thank you Ian! I do love how Justin introduces us to these simpler versions of the songs that we can start playing early in our learning journey but can revisit as we grow in our guitar playing skill.

1 Like

Hello Firas, I think you’re doing a very good job and I enjoyed the listening. About the quality of sound it was quite fine to my ears…there’s one thing I noticed but please do take it with an abundant pinch of salt, and that is the way you hold the pick, as it is something I’m still working on and still struggle a little bit with: I see your fingers are closed like in a fist and I remember Richard posting pictures about this and saying something like that the fingers should relax down and not be in a fist. I’m saying this because I know how it can influence the sound. I don’t know if it’s your case or on the contrary you feel relaxed in holding the pick and you’re referring only to a technical gear aspect with the electric guitar and amp and stuff. Please ignore this if it’s not the case, I just could relate a lot about not being happy with sound and rembered Richard’s tips on the pick holding :blush:

1 Like

Hi Firas,
Congratulations :sunglasses: :clap: :partying_face: …your first video is a very big thing to do ,and you did it well :sunglasses:
Greetings and keep on having fun :sunglasses:
Rogier

Hi Firas, congratulations on your first recording posted. Lot’s to be very pleased about mate. Well done.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words and feedback Silvia. I was referring to the technical aspects of recording the sound with the microphone and amp, too close and it’s distorted, too far and it’s too quiet. Just trial and error to find the right spot.

That being said, your suggestion of noticing how I’m holding the pick is still helpful as it’s something I’m still experimenting with both closed fingers and open fingers to find which feels more relaxing and sounds better. When I’m strumming a lot, closed feels better for control but I do notice my hand being more tense and the pick making noises on the strings, so working on relaxing more. When it’s a slower rhythm I can do it with open fingers but I tend to struggle with maintaining control of the pick.

I’ll pay more attention to that and continue to experiment with both while being mindful of staying relaxed. So thank you for sharing that :pray:t4::blush:

1 Like

Much appreciated Rogier :blush:
The first one is the most challenging for sure, and I learned a lot doing it.

1 Like

Much appreciated for the support James :blush:

1 Like