5 Blues Licks from Pattern 1

Hi @Vlen and welcome to the community.

This is something many of us have experienced.
Firstly, it can occur a lot if the action of your strings is too high.
Also, it can occur if you are pressing ā€˜intoā€™ the fretboard rather with fingers digging in rather than across the fretboard with fingers pushing up on a rotating wrist. Your fingers may also be too flat and straight. You donā€™t want to have very tightly curled fingers for bending, nor do you want super-flattened fingers with all knuckles flexed open.
I hope that helps/
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

1 Like

Check this supplementary topic for additional guidance and support on learning and using blues licks to play lead improvisation: First Steps in Blues Improvisation using Minor Pentatonic Scale Pattern 1
Cheers :+1:
| Richard_close2u |

Just getting into the Blues Lead lessons and am loving Justinā€™s lessons. In his suggested listening for Five Blues Licks, Justin mentions that ā€œAlbert King played his guitar upside down with the thin string at the top. String bending is a bit easier this way (pulling down)ā€. I tried it and YES - it is easier. So my question is why donā€™t we (and everyone else) use this technique or is it somehow wrong?

If you pull the string down you canā€™t do techniques where
you bend a string and play the string below it.
A vary common technique in Rock, Blues and Country.
Check out the open lick in I Used to Love Her and near
The end

Just learning bends and the problem Iā€™m having is that my fingers tough the string abov3e the bent string and make sound. For example, I do lick #1 on the High E and as I bend upwards my fingertips often touch the B string above it and create a tone of the open B string. How do I prevent that?

William

You can stop the B string ringing out by muting all the strings above the e string with the edge of your picking hand or as you are bending with your ring finger mute the unwanted strings by gently resting your index finger across the strings.

In general practice you use the edge of the picking hand to mute the strings above the note you are picking and the free fretting hand fingers to mute the strings below.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

Thatā€™s me! Semi-competent! Emphasis on semi.

Does anyone know the timing for lick 5?

hey sdndr, I had trouble with the timing of Lick 5, also. Itā€™s written out in music notation under ā€œDiscussionā€, if you read notation.

I managed to learn it by ear, i.e. imitating Justin, but I canā€™t count it. Itā€™s unfortunate that Justin doesnā€™t count it himself in the video, he generally gives the counts for these licks.

I also have trouble incorporating it into an improv with a backing track. Thereā€™s just something about it which doesnā€™t seem to sit right (which makes me think Iā€™m probably not playing it right). Iā€™ve decided to drop Lick 5 for the time being and perhaps come back to it.

1 Like

These videos have been great - I love the ā€œwordsā€ analogy and practicing licks seems to make sense to me. The problem Iā€™m having is that I donā€™t quite get how to string the licks together into ā€œsentencesā€. Each lick feels like it ends a sentence rather than flow into the next one. What am I missing? Help appreciated :slight_smile:

hi jeff,
The million dollar question for most I guess when first acquainted with this stuffā€¦Iā€™m going to give it a try from my own experienceā€¦and Iā€™m pretty sure this isnā€™t for everyoneā€¦ .a random listā€¦in the beginning your tempo and timing is not good enough, you canā€™t just ā€œcopy pasteā€ all licks in a row,ā€¦ practice moreā€¦, not every lick ā€œfeelsā€ nice to play and just doesnā€™t suit you but does give the experience that you can use later with other licks and then it makes senseā€¦a lot of practiceā€¦donā€™t try to string them all together take breaks (I do that very often still wrong) ā€¦ oh yes, a lot of practice and it will really happen to you that you play a few smoothly and perfectly in successionā€¦
I still remember well after the first 2 pattern licks lessons it really annoyed me that I couldnā€™t play along a little properly with the backing trackā€¦that needed ā€¦and still doesā€¦time and ā€¦a lot of practiceā€¦ ā€¦I do see a recurring theme in my slightly too long storyā€¦ :smile: :innocent:
So quickly saidā€¦I donā€™t think youā€™re missing anything, just try and definitely post something about yourself soon and ask for help in time, there are real teachers around here so success is guaranteedā€¦i wish you lots of fun here :smiley:
Greetings ,Rogier

Mega

The licks may not sit well over the same backing track as Justin presents them. Having practised them broken them down, played bits, played backwards and everything else Justin says about using you should be able work them into the same track. They might not sit nicely together so you may need passing notes from the pentatonic scale to link them together. Think of those note like punctuation that breaks up a sentence and makes is flow and sound like it makes sense. You need to experienment.

I am not one for pushing my own impros but my latest post may give you an idea. These particular licks are from another source and not just in one position but it may give you an idea of what I am trying to say.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:
https://community.justinguitar.com/t/madmans-new-diary-chapter-two-blue-boy-wheres-cyndi/84245/40

1 Like

Just getting into learning these licks and having them as part of a repertoire. Quick question using pattern 1 licks for example, on what progression you would play these licks over??? Aminor Blues or C Blues?? I understand the realise major minor thing, however Iā€™m trying to land on chord tones.
Lick 1 ends on A note, so would sound good to me over Am, as A is not in the C chord would you not use it over a C part of a progression?
Lick 2 ends on a C note so presumably this is good over Am and C
Am I over thinking and can they be used over Am and C no problem?

Hey, you are not overthinking. These licks are for A or Am blues progressions, but not C blues. The C major pentatonic scale has the same notes as the Am pentatonic, but the licks are generally different. Furthermore, care must be taken when using major pentatonic licks over a blues progression. Justin talks about this in a Grade 7 module.

1 Like

@sdndr and @jjw
The tab helps if you know how to interpret it.
See if this annotated tab helps:

2 Likes

Hi @Richard_close2u, thanks for your input.

Yes, I can read the tab and in fact, I can play it in time so it sounds like what Justin plays in the video. However, it doesnā€™t seem to flow naturally when I play it over a blues backing track. And I find it difficult to count. The problem is the 2nd triplet form, where the quarter note takes the last two-thirds of the triplet. I donā€™t always come out of that in time and beat 4 sometimes is off the mark. Just needs more practice, I guess.

1 Like

Yeah, the bend / curl occupies a moment in time that is rather ā€˜elasticā€™.
You can play the G string fret 5 note and begin the curl immediately, or hold the note for its full duration and do the curl on the strict count of the 3rd part of the triplet, or somewhere in between. It is very much an individual feel thing and will sound a little clunky if the count and the note duration is too clockwork and robotic.

Indeed, having to execute the curl at the moment is a complication.

Lots of things to keep in mind at once. Or rather, practice it enough so you donā€™t have to think about it!

1 Like

Hi all,

Iā€™m having trouble with lick #3 as higher speeds. With my bends, Iā€™ve been trying to avoid the ā€œseagullā€ effect (i.e., unbending the string while itā€™s still making sound) by using my right hand to mute the string after bending it up. But at a speed of like 80 bpm, I canā€™t seem to mute the G string after the bend with my right hand but remove that muting so that when I pick the B string, the B string still makes a sound and isnā€™t muted too. Clearly, my right hand is muting both strings, but I donā€™t know how to be more accurate with the right hand when muting.

Any advice?

Hi @jwf, my muting is a work in progress, but what Iā€™ve found is that you should be able to position your right hand such that when you mute the G string, you are not also muting the B (or high-E) strings.

Youā€™ll have to experiment with the position of the right hand, such that it touches strings 3-6, but not strings 1 and 2. Btw, you can practice this, of course, not while doing the lick, but just picking the individual strings while your muting hand is in place.

Justin has a lesson on muting here: String Muting Techniques | JustinGuitar.com

He explains right-hand muting in detail starting around 8:10.