5 Different Levels of Tapping Your Foot

Yes, you should only tap on the beat. However, I don’t raise my foot precisely on the +. In fact, just trying a few phantom strums, I realize I raise on the “a” right before the beat. To be honest, I don’t know if that is a bad habit or not.

Maybe @Richard_close2u or one of the other teachers or more experienced players could weigh in.

Hi Sami, welcome to the community!
I don’t have any guidance to add, but I also struggle with the natural tendency to tap my foot as you describe. I’ve been working on tapping only on the 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s, usually at slow bpm. Interested to see additional responses to your question.

You must have strong leg muscles!

Yes.
Only tap on the beat. Anything else is using excess energy unnecessarily. I wonder if you have developed this habit by thinking in terms of Down Up rather than thinking in terms of the count.
Go back to some basic rhythm and strumming patterns, count out loud the beats (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + etc. with omissions where you are missing the strings). Focus on the beats (where the numbers are. Train yourself out of too much thinking of direction.

1 Like

When standing up I’m in doubt which foot I should tap. I there a preference?

@Melle … both at the same time!

You will probably find one foot is easier to tap with than the other, but it probably doesn’t matter which one.

However, I think there is value in being able to tap either foot and either heel or toe. I can’t prove it, but I have a theory that this puts rhythm in both halves of your brain, not just one.

1 Like

I’m happy I found this lesson and I"m looking forward to trying tapping with my heel. I don’t get the muscle soreness per-say, but after a while, I get some numbness in my foot and leg with the toe tapping. Such a simple change that never occurred to me. I hope it helps with the numbness.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity…what are the five levels?

(I’m presuming this won’t give away all the secrets of the lesson…if so, never mind. I know this is a paid course)

Also, does Justin get into more complicated rhythms - like 16th note rhythms - in the course?

1 Like

Justin statement in the last sentence of the lesson notes is completely right

Until recently I have found it almost impossible to strum, change chords, sing and tap my foot at the same time, to such an extent that I didn’t really try to tap as it put off the other actions.

However I noticed the other day my foot was tapping along with beat without me even thinking about, now I can do it all of the time without affecting the others.

Took a while but as Justin says it will just happen.

1 Like