A 6:8 Strumming Pattern

@Angel1 I can’t find that in the lessons Anna - can you please provide a link to the specific lesson? Thanks.

@Richard_close2u
Richard I think the lesson Anna means is this one. Grade I module 6.

1 Like

I see it now, thanks @sairfingers
I was looking in the written content of the lesson, not in the thumbnail above Justin’s head.

@Angel1 … back to this question …

As the video lesson in Grade 6 (posted immediately above) progresses Justin teaches 6 down strums, 6 down + 6 up strums, then the pattern you query, then an open invitation to explore patterns of your own - just making sure to maintain a constant pendulum motion with the strumming arm.
Your ukulele pattern is fine. It is not that it is not recommended. It is just that Justin is suggesting a particular pattern as a platform for other patterns.
One other thing to remember - Ukulele strumming is quite often ‘busier’ than some guitar strumming may be as their sound is not as full-bodied and lacks the sustain of a guitar.
Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

1 Like

I wrote when I was feeling rather dejected as I just couldn’t do Justin’s strum. And yes my beautiful guitar is much more resonant and rich than the uke, so I now understand that my 6:8 ukulele strum is perhaps not the first choice for the guitar.
Thank you for your advice.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s necessarily a poor choice though. Repeat after Justin: if it sounds good, it IS good. And for some songs I’m sure it will sound great. For other songs a different pattern may (or may not) sound better. It’s all in your ears and what pleases you. There aren’t any hard and fast rules for this.

2 Likes

I guess my question is … how important is it for me to understand this? I’ve watched Justin’s video a few times, then I went over to the YouTube video suggested by Socio. I’ve also listened to several of the songs suggested. Following all that, it is safe to say I have zero understanding of 3/4 vs 6/8 time. Do I need to keep at this until it makes sense, or is it something I can give up on, move on, and maybe come back to later?

1 Like

Probably you can move on and come back later. Specially when you find songs with those divisions. I got the feeling of 6/8 with “Everybody hurts” and “Nothing else Matters” and I don’t have any 3/4 in mind. So the distinction isn’t very clear at my mind either :sweat_smile:

Hello @kitshef1 and welcome to the Community.

Do not let your confusion at being unable to discern the subtle, technical differences between 6/8 and 3/4 hold you back.
Depending on the tempo and the instruments that are being played in a recording, say, they can be indistinguishable.

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | Community Moderator, Official Guide, JustinGuitar Approved Teacher

1 Like

I just want to say, for whatever reason I cannot get this strum pattern. I kind of can get it but my hand will stop moving on 2 and 5, which I know is not good. In general, learning new strumming patterns and keeping a consistent rythm has been the hardest part so far with this course. Any tips?

2 Likes

Is Amsterdam by Jacques brel ( David bowie version) a 6:8…?

1 Like

Don’t forget this 6:8 song:

1 Like

I really recommend watching this video to help differentiate 3/4 and 6/8, it helped me a lot. What's the difference between 3/4 and 6/8 time? - YouTube

1 Like

Hello @vantabrain and welcome to the community.

It is a great video. It has already been linked up above in post 11.

Cheers
Richard

Hello everyone,

surprisingly, this part of the module is the one I’m struggling with the most. (Surprisingly, because in an earlier life I was a dancer and I am quite familiar with 3/4 and 6/8 - although for me it all equaled: Walz)

Aside from the theory behind this, I’m struggling to find a suitable song for the strumming pattern Justin recommends. I’m using the app and lots of songs either aren’t in 6/8 or require chords I don’t yet know (and I guess the F chord won’t come as easy to me as the G to simply try it out). I wish there was one song that „easily“ works with the pattern in the app. Did I miss something?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Another 6/8 song suggestion…this is one of my Dreamer songs… Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick - YouTube

1 Like

My suggestion would be to file this away until you come across a song that you want to play that is in 6/8 time. Then dust off this pattern, re-learn it and see if you can apply it to the song.

2 Likes

I always try to avoid using the word “beat” when explaining a time signature. It’s not very helpful for most people when you use one undefined term to define another. “Beat” is such a vague term and we all think we know what it means yet plenty of folks are imagining something else when they use it. Only if you give a universally accepted and understood definition of “beat” should it be used in further definitions.

When you see a time signature, simply ask two questions: How Many? and Of What? In 4/4 time the answers would be 4 (how many?) and Quarter Notes (of what?). 6/8 time it would be 6 (how many) and Eighth Notes (of what?). Instead of talking about “beats” you can just talk about note values in the measure. You don’t need 4 quarter notes in a measure of 4/4, but you need the equivalent of that note value in the bar (e.g. 8 eighth notes, 16 sixteenth notes, etc.).

I remember in junior high music class and the definition was always, “4 beats per bar and the quarter note gets the beat” - and it was endlessly confusing because what does “gets the beat” even mean when it’s all new to you? That definition of 4/4 time taught me to avoid the use of “beat” in a definition.

1 Like

Wow…not a lot of people on 'ole Module 6 eh? It’s like a ghost town around here. Is everyone on JustinGuitar better than this and newbies typically quite before they get to 6?

1 Like

Hi @Roland1911! I’m a beginner too…one with precious little music theory background – that is, one year in elementary school! I saw your post, but honestly my naivete means I don’t know how to contextualize it. Bars, measures, it all confuses me. But I’m slowly working my way through Justin’s music theory class, so perhaps some day I’ll understand and will have something to offer. That said: I just re-read your post slowly and carefully, and I think it makes sense. So thank you for that!

Please don’t let the crickets here dissuade you from posting more. I’ve made posts too that never got any traction. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve got no problem with using the word beat. I mean, you need a word to use in a sentence like “The melody note on beat 3 is a C sharp.”

Although, I agree that “the quarter note gets the beat” is not great. I would say rather “4 beats to the bar and a beat is notated as a quarter note”.

1 Like