A Capo For Two: Jamming for Beginners

When we say “front”, we mean that the scale of a given position is further down the neck (= to the right) in relation to the root note.

When we say “back” or “behind”, we mean that the scale of a given position is closer to the nut (= to the left) in relation to the root note.

Let’s take the C major scale as an example. This image shows the five positions. Have a look at the five positions and note the overlap that occurs between them.

• The top position is Position 4, based on the A chord shape. We have the root note C on the third fret of the fifth string. The A chord shape within that position is in FRONT of that root note.

• The next position is Position 5, based on the G chord shape. We have the root note C on the eight fret of the sixth string. The G chord shape within that position is BEHIND that root note.

• The next position is Position 1, based on the E chord shape. We have the root note C on the eight fret of the sixth string. The E chord shape within that position is in FRONT of that root note.

• The next position is Position 2, based on the D chord shape. We have the root note C on the tenth fret of the fourth string. The D chord shape within that position is in FRONT of that root note.

• The last position is Position 3, based on the C chord shape. We have the root note C on the fifteenth fret (= third fret) of the fifth string. The C chord shape within that position is BEHIND that root note.

If you analyze all other keys, you’ll come to the same conclusion.

• The scales in position 1 (E shape), position 2 (D shape) and Position 4 (A shape) are in FRONT of the root note.

• The scales in position 3 (C shape), and Position 5 (G shape) are BEHIND the root note.

• Position 1 (E shape) and Position 5 (G shape) share the same root note position. The former is in FRONT of the root, the latter BEHIND the root note.

• Position 3 (C shape) and Position 4 (A shape) share the same root note position. The former is BEHIND the root, the latter in FRONT of the root note.

There is no difference when the root note is an open string. E.g. the D major scale in position 2 (D shape) is in FRONT of the root note. Et cetera.

1 Like

Hello @vasquek and welcome to the community.

Where are you reading / hearing those two words that are giving you confusion?

Wow, what an amazing reply! Thank you so much for the diagram and your patience walking me through it. This is super helpful.

2 Likes

I don’t know if the app videos are different from the website videos, but in the app video for this lesson (A Capo for Two) Justin uses these terms to talk about how to figure out which chords are going to work with various capo positions. The terminology started popping in at about 8:30 in the video.

Thanks so much to you and @Jeff for responding so fast…I really didn’t know what to expect my first time posting. This seems like a great community.

1 Like

I have just watched the video again.
Behind and in front of are used to desribe where most or all of a chord shape can be found relative to the lowest root note.
Behind is towards the nut. Lower.
In front is towards the body. Higher.

Can the Open Chord Shapes Cheat Sheet chart please be made available for this lesson in a Resources Tab as a downloadable PDF?
Justin mentions something about this in the video but it isn’t available.
Cheers.

In lieu of a PDF being available Matthew, here is a copy of the cheat sheet for you to download as a .jpeg file.

2 Likes

Many thanks, Stefan. :metal:

1 Like

Like many have said, this is a fantastic lesson to help better understand the fretboard. While I haven’t jammed with somebody using a capo or played with my looper, I did experiment with a song I’ve been noodling on - “Lean on Me”. I put a capo on the third fret and found the C, G and F chords used in the song. What was really fun was incorporating the prior lesson of linking the chords - finding the bass notes to link the C and F chords in the song. My challenge right now is I’m so used to playing the open chords that I have to fight the instinct to finger a traditional G chord shape for the G vs. going to the E shape to play the G. This is my first attempt so I’m sure it will come with practice - but for now I am super excited that I was able to take it to the next level by linking the chords.

Apologies if this has been asked before (not read all the discussion) but this lesson seems to assume that you have someone to jam with. How do we do this if we don’t?

Hi Stuart, if you have a looper pedal or an audio interface you could Jam with yourself.

1 Like

I have neither!!

One approach is to just play along with the original artist recording.

Another approach is to record yourself playing the open chords…can be into a phone/tablet/computer using the built in mic…don’t need anything more elaborate.

Then practice playing the capoed chords over your recording.

This 100%. :slight_smile:

Great Lesson Justin and Team! It really helped to open up the guitar fretboard to me and free-up the ways of playing songs I already know. The light bulb moment came when taking a couple frets and working out the “CAGED” chords available on that fret, as well as a couple of the minor and barre chords. I apologize if this has already been posted but, I hope this may help someone else too, and please correct me if anything I say is incorrect.
My epiphany is this;
To quickly figure out what chords you are playing with the capo at any given fret,
E-Shape with root note on the 6th at the capo
A-Shape with root note on the 5th at the capo
D-Shape with root note on the 4th at the capo
G-Shape with root note on the 6th string 3 frets from the capo
C-Shape with root note on the 5th string 3 frets from the capo

I hope that makes sense. It was definitely and AHA moment for me and I wanted to share it.

Best Regards to all!

Kevin

Should be; 5th (A) string

Yep, you are correct. I copied and pasted but forgot to change the string number. Thank you!
I corrected it in the initial post.

I’m kind of like you . I tend to spend about an hour a day on my guitar and although I have played the guitar some 50 years or ago I have no way of really measuring my progress . I would love to find a “jamming buddy” but at 66 it’s not so easy. Laugh if you wish but the closest jamming buddy at the moment is the church organist :woozy_face: .