A lesson explaining how to get well known guitar sounds

You have two choices the Leslie amp by Fender or the original Leslie speaker created for the Hammond organ but used by guitar player in the 60s.

Hehe, I just fired up the tone control app for the first time in ages- great fun :smiley:
Before I go searching down rabbit holes, any signposts what knobs to twiddle on a modelling amp to get a softer attack sound (ping instead of ting if that makes any sense?). Iā€™m thinking of something like Gilmourā€™s tone on Shine on you Crazy Diamond about 3 minutes in. (I know itā€™s all in the fingers, but surely certain settings will help you get there?)

I think that particular sound is the result of a compressor pedal.

The idea is that a normal plucked guitar sound fairly closely matches the classic ā€œADSR envelopeā€ , where there is an initial Attack which is quite distinct, which then Decays down to a lower level Sustain for an extended period, and then the note Releases.

ADSR is how synthesizers have approximately emulated acoustic instruments for decades.

The important part is that first spike of the attack which is fairly high for guitar and gives it a distinctive sound. If you could chop that peak off, the start of the note would sound softer.

Well, set right, thatā€™s what a compressor does. I would experiment with a fairly high attack and sustain settings.

Note that on a compressor pedal, the attack setting is, basically, how quickly the pedal reacts, and this tends to have the opposite effect to the attack setting on a synthesizer: the higher up the compressor attack, the more the initial spike at the start of the note is suppressed.

As for the guitar tone itself, that sounds like a single-coil or P90 neck pickup with a lot of the mids and some high frequencies rolled off a bit.

Another way to get this softer note start would be to use an envelope filter, which a lot of multifx pedals have, but the THR range donā€™t have this and, given the era of the song, I would suggest it was more likely to be a compressor pedal or post-production effect.

Cheers,

Keith

The

2 Likes

@Majik

I think overdrive also compresses the signalā€¦

1 Like

It does, but this sounds fairly clean to me.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I just checked on mine, and the THR doesnā€™t have a separate compressor attack setting.

I managed to soften the attack a bit by cranking both the sustain and the level on the compressor:

I used the neck pickup on my P90 equipped Revstar, with the tone rolled of about 30% and it didnā€™t sound too far away.

But Iā€™m trying this out at very low levels as my missus is asleep in the next room.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Cheers Keith,
I have a big smile on my face, not because I can reproduce the tone, but because while I was messing around, I reckoned single coil neck was the one to go for and I definitely thought the compressor controls brought it closer :smiley:

Brian while looking for a thread on our Community that lists all the gear particular artists are using I also found a reply on some other thread outside the Community, see below perhaps it will come in handy when setting up a tone (question is specifically asked with relation to song you mentioned).

David Gilmourā€™s tone is described on various sites, but the basic core of it is a clean tube amp with vintage pickups. His amps (Hiwatts) also have a lower mid range, so you can emulate that by turning down your mids, but even on the Hiwatts Gilmour has his mids at 40%, bass at 50% and treble up towards 60%.

If you have a delay pedal, that would help get you a more accurate sound.

Gilmourish.com reckons his pedal settings are:

• Boss Compressor (CS-2) set to level 2, attack 12 and sustain 11
  • Boss Chorus (CE-2) set to rate 1 and depth 11
  • Digital Delay of 440ms
2 Likes