After having time off

Hi I’ve just started up again after over a year off, do I have to go back to the very beginning of my training or what do you think?

HI Shane!!

Welcome to the community. I think the answer to your question depends a little on how long you’ve been playing and where you are in your guitar journey.

I took a five year break from guitar and started playing again in June/July of this year.

When I came back to Justin’s webpage I went through all the course modules starting with Grade 2 even though I’ve been playing (off and on) for more than 20 years and have had many hours of guitar practice under my belt, I wanted to be sure that could fill in any gaps I had in my knowledge and skills. So, I basically started from the beginning again with the “new” course. While I don’t know your particular circumstances, I would recommend doing a serious refresh starting at a point in Justin’s courses where you think it makes sense.

You have definitely come to the right place for learning the guitar and this community is a great spot to get input from others who are on their own “guitar journeys”. There’s a great range of knowledge and skill here and the people are super supportive.

Hope that helps. Have a great day!
Jeremy

Hi Shane,

You didn’t mention what point you were restarting from. I think it is worth re-visiting lessons from the start until you run into something you consider new unless you were already playing for many years when you stopped. I am guessing that since you are asking this question, you were fairly new.

There are a couple message threads with answers to this question: