Air Changes (aspire to this!)

Hi @David_Lefthand, yes it is hard at this stage. Key here is “aspire to this” - try to make air changes your goal, they will automatically come in time if you play enough.

1 Like

@jkahn I’ve tried all my best to put it in my practice routine, yet it’s all difficult :sob::sob:

At this point, i’m frustrated not being able to do this, i’m always laying my fingers down the feet board one after the other.
I feel like skipping this lesson and going to the next, but my guilt is catching up with me.

Is there no other way i can do this? :tired_face:

1 Like

@David_Lefthand
I am no way perfect at this, especially only on module 6, but I found that playing along with songs on the app helped me to progress. If you are watching the screen for the chord changes you can’t be looking at your fretting hand and it sort of happens if you play enough.
Hope this helps.
Michael

4 Likes

@David_Lefthand It is difficult at this stage, yes. Don’t think you have to master this air changes lesson before moving on to the next one! Move on if you want to. Air changes are a long term goal. Keep doing your changes like you are now, and doing your One Minute Changes and you will eventually start doing air changes. Just keep playing songs and learning.

3 Likes

@jkahn this is an encouraging one sir
Thank you!

2 Likes

@MAT1953 this is a great tip, i would love to put it into my playing!
Often enough, i look at my fret while playing.
Thank you Mr Mathew!

2 Likes

@David_Lefthand
No problem, hope it works for you it did for me.
Cheers
Michael

1 Like

@David_Lefthand

Try this - something I wrote above.

@Richard_close2u

Thanks for this sir, it sure would be helpful i will try it and hope it works for me

1 Like

Richard’s suggestion worked for me!! The only ones being a real pain are Dm and C chords, still working on them! You will get it, just takes time. When playing songs, don’t be concerned about these air changes. They will start to happen on their own and you won’t even realize you’re doing it.

2 Likes

@wayne56 it did worked for me too, i’m improving anyways

3 Likes

Hi everybody, i’m also still struggeling trying to do this air changes. It seem’s my fingers just aren’t able to form an e.g. D-chord right in the air, no matter how much time i give them for the job.
So i’m trying to break this down into smaller pieces. And step one is to hold a chord e.g. D-chord just normal and then lift all fingers up in the air and just place them back on the strings, same chord again, no change. I try to make this perfect and check it after every ‘lift off and landing’ by really playing that chord then and listen whether all strings sound ok. If i can do this perfectly, than i would proceed to try and change chords in the air.
Maybe not good for everyone, but i give it try.
Happy learning everyone!

3 Likes

Revisiting this as I’m watching Justin’s lesson on Bad Moon Rising, where he talks about strumming open chords on the last UP of the pattern D, D, D, U, D, U. Definitely a good one for practicing air changes when playing the non-capo (D, A, G) version.

2 Likes

Some people recommend pointing to the screen to reset the fingers