AlexisDuprey JG Rock Songbook Studies (Songs 1-10 of 50) latest - Should I Stay or Should I go added 9 March

Great cover of this song. Quite the project you’ve got on the go, have fun with it!

1 Like

Wow Alexis that was super tight and sweet and I loved to see your new guitar in action! Played like a charm, well done definitely ticked off your list!

1 Like

Another great one Alexis.

1 Like

@jkahn @adi_mrok Thanks!

Alexis your progress and dedication through your project is amazing, it’s putting me to shame :wink: There I go missing a few weeks of stuff here and you’re producing epic pieces of work like this. Bravo to you!

Your playing is moving along at such a fast pace at the moment it’s truly impressive, I await the next installment with alot of excitement!!

1 Like

Hi Alexis, great Rock And Roll All Nite cover. I wish you equal or better success with the next songs in your list. I did find the vocals of your backing track to be acceptable for me. Keep working on it. Kiss songs are not in my list for at least two years but things can change.

1 Like

Alexis, everytime you post a new video, there is an ambivalent kind of feelings inside me. First of all, there is my full admiration for your progress. Wow! Congratulations. You are extremely focused and targeted and this pays off! On the other hand, I maybe should hide myself in a big hole :joy: . Compared to you, I feel like a snail. A very, very slow one :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Great job on this Alexis. I am glad to see u-tube didn’t block you with copyright nonsense. I need to get a hold of a copy of this book too-looks like so many great songs to learn. Thanks for posting!!

Jeff

1 Like

@Notter @Helen0609 Thanks Mark, and Andrea! You wouldn’t think so highly of my efforts if you saw any of the bad takes (and how many for that matter) before getting this one right. I’ll also give credit to the backing track. The other instruments make up for my mistakes and make my playing sound better than it truly is IMO.

@dobleA Yeah, I don’t outright hate the vocals, in fact I think they are quite good. It’s tricky though when it’s a famous song like this where any cover is going to feel different because I’m so used to Gene Simmons singing regardless of how good the singer is, lol.

@SDKissFan Definitely get Justin’s rock songbook (or any of his songbooks really, they are great!). It is the perfect companion piece for his video lessons (Most of the songs have videos on this website). Sure you can learn all of these on the website, but for me the book is a curated experience (here’s a list of songs to play that get harder and harder) with a added benefit of supporting Justin’s awesome work.

1 Like

Surely not Alexis, we all, always, get it right first time don’t we?!

I had such an experience over the weekend trying to do an AVOYP and couldn’t get the sound levels right through my Scarlett, messing with gain knobs and nothing changed. I must have wasted 5 song performances until I realised the OBS was taking the sound feed from my webcam, not my Scarlett… But by that time I’d peaked and couldn’t get a clean (enough) recording. Planning another attempt tonight!

1 Like

Oh yeah, I never spend an hour or more in front of my camera stopping and re-starting the backing track for the 100th time I messed up. Not me ever. :wink:

This happens to me all the time! I sit there wondering what the heck is going on and why isn’t this sounding right before I realized It’s not picking up my scarlett at all but my webcam mic! Everytime I plug a new mic in garageband wants to change inputs on me =/, lol

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not alone with even getting the audio source wrong!! :joy:

Another great cover Alexis. You are certainly nailing the songs in the rock book.

Which has been your favourite one so far?

How long have you actually been playing though. I really like that you posted all the links, good info for the future.

R.H

1 Like

Thanks Rachel! I’ve been playing since January 6th of this year. I actually started a learning log about a month after I started if you are at all interested in my whole journey. Alex's Learning Log

1 Like

Thanks Alex, I’ll be sure to have a good dig through, we have similar gear. Just purchased a new Les Paul and I also have a Boss Katana, I noticed on the floor,

Thank for the link, this will be good inspiration for me.

Song 7: There She Goes by The La’s

This song was waaay more difficult than it initially seemed. That coupled with how busy I’ve been at work has push this longer than any other song I’ve been working on. It was a really fun song though and I learned some stuff!

What I’ve learned/techniques:

• Main Riff. This was the most deceptively difficult part for me. It was how consistently accurate you have to be with these single note sequences throughout the entire song. There’s no breaks! For weeks I was trying to do it with down picks only and it just was not working. About a week ago I started practicing it with alternate picking. It was still difficult but much easier than before. I still can’t get it perfect but accuracy is good enough to post I think.
  • Playing by ear. Justin doesn’t have the whole song in the book or his video. He get’s you about 90% there but there are a ton of variations and layers to the song so it’s impossible to put in one lesson. I simplified it and tried to get the basic idea by ear but it took me a while to get there. I think it sounds enough like it that the song is recognizable so I’m happy with where I got.
  • C Major 7 chord. New chord for me that only shows up in the bridge, just a C chord without the first finger but it did take some tries to get it right because my fingers are so used to making a C chord that they did not want to cooperate when asked for a variation lol.

Sound:
I used tonelib gfx clean preset with an added delay for the main riff and the acoustic preset for the rhythm.

grabbed the backing track from: Download your instrumental songs in MP3 format - Custom Backing Tracks - Karaoke Version (karaoke-version.com) .

So here’s There She Goes by the La’s! (Advice and feedback always appreciated and welcome!):grinning:

17 Likes

Awesome, love the additional guitar.

1 Like

Cool to see a new entry Alexis, for some reason I can’t get it on my phone as it’s asking for a “not a robot” text entry which keep repeating, will try on my PC later!
Maybe I am a :robot: after all :joy:

1 Like

Appreciate you even just opening the post Mark.

I knew it! :wink:

1 Like