AlexisDuprey - Troy Stetina's Metal Rhythm Guitar Vol.1 - Songs 1-6

Congrats on your 1 year anniversary Alexis.

That was pretty damn awesome playing there. Really interesting to see how much you have come on in the past year. I hope you are proud of where you are at at the moment. Bravo!

Congrats on your anniversary Alexis! Great progress.

@alexisduprey

:birthday:
That was awesome. I forget it was your video. I thought it was my playlist. I was wondering why the next song didn’t play.
Awesome documentation of your guitar journey. I’m a month behind you and I don’t sound as good as that.
:+1::+1:

1 Like

That’s some serious progress in a year Alexis. I am an acoustic player so can’t offer you any advice on playing electric but I don’t think you need my advice anyway. Keep doing what you are doing!

1 Like

Thanks @Eddie_09 @JasonBuk for the watch and kind words.

The final song in Metal Rhythm Guitar Vol. 1! What a song to end on too, it’s a metallica inspired tune (main riff sounds familiar hmmmm). Perfect capstone for the first rhythm book because the rhythm is pushed so there are a ton of upbeat accents and the like. Some really really fun and awesome sounding riffs in the blues scale too.

I used one of Juca Nery’s awesome katana patches. The metallica one of course worked perfect for the song.

Now off to Rhythm Vol. 2 and Lead Primer!

14 Likes

Lovely and skilled playing.
I am enjoying the beat and the vibe!

1 Like

Thanks Rene! I really like the vibe too, very 80’s metal. I particularly like the blues scale riff that starts around 1:48 cause it sounds so cool to me plus really fun to play around with. Switching from A to E was tricky at first, making sure I hit the right strings. Vibrato also felt really tough to nail at 126 BPM but I think my fingers started to cooperate around 3 weeks into practice. Overall happy with how it turned out.

1 Like

Nice Alexis, very much vibes of Enter Sandman in that!
Great chugging rhythm and infills for the solo, all in all it’s a great effort!
:metal:t2::metal:t2::metal:t2:

1 Like

Thanks Darrell! Heavy enter sandman vibes for sure lol.

That was definitely inspired by Enter Sandman! Sounded really good Alexis. Great groove, good playing. I like how you set up your videos too.

1 Like

Congrats on finishing MRG V1, Alexis! Super stuff! :clap::clap::clap:
Great playing on that final track too, very impressed by your precision and sense of timing (both of which are major struggles for me, I need to adopt some of your discipline to studying methinks! :joy:).
Looking forward to seeing what comes next. You’re definitely on the right path towards metal god status! :metal::confounded:

1 Like

Another well executed project, Alexis, showcasing your ability to play with feel and get great tone.

Inspired by :thinking: I’m not deeply into Metallica but I’d say it was the riff and the copyright police might be all over that. :grin:

Do you practice and play standing up? Based on all you’ve shared I’d imagine somewhere down the line you may want to be in a band and performing live. And that music just wouldn’t work with the players sitting sedately on the stage :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks! @jkahn @nzmetal @DavidP

I feel like I’m starting to get the hang of how I want my videos set up. Camera angle being something that I’ve experimented with a lot since I started recording my self. I think I found a good place for my tripod though I think I should move a little to the left to center my guitar instead of myself in the frame.

That’s kind of you to say Jeff, though I don’t think I’m all that precise. Rhythm I always feel I’m in a good place with but accuracy has been a big problem for me. I can see half a dozen places where I mess up. I suppose we are our own worse enemy though, lol. Plus I’ve played the song so many times at this point that I know the parts that I’m likely to screw up on and hyper focus on it. :laughing:

Besides the couple weeks I took practicing the module in grade 2 where justin talks about it I haven’t really practiced standing. I want to, but it’s so uncomfortable now that it feels like taking a step back when I play. I know that I just have to push through, but I’ve been procrastinating on this one for sure. :laughing:

2 Likes

Great playing Alexis! Makes me want to learn some metal - I wouldn’t know where to start!

1 Like

Thanks Phil! The book I’m using is pretty good and based on the AVOYP of yours I’ve seen you’d probably pick up metal really quick. I’d usually recommend completing Justin’s grade 2 before looking at a book like Troy’s but you’re well beyond that.

I’m totally with you on that! That little voice in my head always pops up… “Right, 75% of the way through the song, been going okay, now don’t stuff up that tricky section and you’re home free… Aw I stuffed it up again!” :face_with_monocle::confounded::sweat_smile:

:rofl: Jeff. I can probably tell you the exact moment in seconds where I think essentially exactly what you said in this video lol.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Alex, This is heavy duty stuff and sounding really good; got the licks in with the rhythm and super tone. Nice performance. I’ll be looking forward to you multitracking the rhythm and lead; I’m sure you’ll get it. Keep on it.

1 Like