AlexisDuprey - Troy Stetina's Metal Rhythm Guitar Vol.1 - Songs 1-6

Really kind words here David. I’d give most of the credit to Troy’s backing track and arrangements. The songs are really solid for songs arranged specifically for learning rhythm guitar. I also feel like I’m getting a little better at using garageband to mix the tracks. I did feel though my guitar is slightly low when Troy hits the really loud solos. Though we are our own biggest critics of course.

Aspiration wise, only to be able to play the songs I loved as a kid, the ones that inspired me to learn the instrument…and maybe shred a little. As a 30 something with a full time job, wife, and child I think it would be impossible to find time to play in a band let alone gig though I think that would be cool. Definitely something I would have tried when I was a teenager if I had the sense to stick with the instrument way back when. If only I found Justin earlier, hah, but alas. Right now I’m just content with sharing my progress with you lovely people.

1 Like

Sounded spot on. If I just heard it out of context, I wouldn’t have known it was a “student” playing!

1 Like

Awesome man, definitely tight playing! Those power chord and palm muting skills look ace.

I think you’re ready for the next step in metal guitar… arm and hand tattoos, and either a shaved head or long hair (your choice!). :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously good dude.

1 Like

Really liked that! Nice playing great sound.

Does Troy supply the backing tracks then? Decent lead on it!

1 Like

Nicely played Alex and a great tone, what amp setup are you using?
Like it :metal:t2::metal:t2::metal:t2:

1 Like

Hah, I went to a Metal concert a couple of weeks ago and maybe 80% of the attendees had 1 or all of those!

Yup, each book comes with a code that gives you MP3s of all the examples, a full version of the songs with rhythm (So you can listen and play along with), and a full backing track with the rhythm missing (that’s the one I’m using here).

He has this for 11/12 of the songs from Volumes 1 & 2. The last song doesn’t because the first version of the book (all the way back in the 80’s) only the 1 final song in it. When he updated it he added the 11 songs with full backing track.

I’m using a Boss Katana MKII, bass turned up high, scooping the mid, slightly elevated treble. I don’t remember which of the distortion effects I’m using, but I know I put the gain up really high. Also have a tiny bit of reverb.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the distortion effect is on top of the crunch channel.

2 Likes

Nice rhythm and good chord changes!! Though I could never get into heavy metal. I like some though such as Metallica and five finger death punch. That’s about it though. Great job!

1 Like

Thanks Byron! I’m a huge metal fan though not so much the harder death metal stuff. My tastes are very eclectic, I like everything from folk to metal.

Wow Alexis,
That is some heavy guitar and great tone you got going. To me it has a good thump to it. Sounds really good. Nice job tracking this and processing it. Levels and balance, all good on this end.

Keep up the VIBE, strong and steady - just as you have here!
LB

1 Like

Thanks LBro. GarageBand helps a lot with mixing!

It sounds really good, felt like a good rhythm. Maybe look away from your hands a little bit?

Thanks Ross! Yeah, that’s something I’m still working on. For open chords I can switch around without looking pretty well. It’s when I’m sliding power chords around that’s difficult. I don’t yet trust myself, when I try it I get close but not quite there lol.

1 Like

That was really good Alexis. Some sweet power chord changing going on there. Loved it.

Chapter 3 of Troy’s metal rhythm guitar method complete, and it was a tricky one. A couple of concepts that I was familiar with but didn’t practice a lot of before this chapter:

• Playing off beat - I have some experience with this playing La Grange from Justin’s rock songbook, so the extra practice helped.
  • New open power chords - again some experience with open powerchords from justin’s power chord course, cool to use them more.
  • Vibrato - this is still tough and I think I’m still weak with it. Justin’s video on hand vibrato was super helpful but I still need a lot of practice to get it where I want it to be.
  • Left hand muting - only experience I had with this was all the small things from my grade 2 practice. I’m pretty comfortable with it now.
8 Likes

Yeah, man, Alex. Sounding very good to my ears. Nice tone and play. What’s your ultimate goal with playing? Are you working on any of the lead stuff or embellishments??

1 Like

Thanks Dave! I’m planning on following both justins grades and Troys metal guitar method. Hopefully get into lead playing after I’m finished volume 1 of rhythm guitar. I’m starting with Troys metal lead guitar primer and moving on to the others. I have his entire series:

1 Like

Sound great!

1 Like

That was really good, your technique was very good, your vibrato was fine, it’s very difficult to use vibrato on such a short note. The killer on vibrato is when you need it on a long note to influence the sustain on that note.
It’s a great piece to learn the rhythm guitar to, it plays just as much importance as the solo really, I thought that you did remarkably well! :metal:t2::metal:t2::metal:t2:

1 Like

Well done Alexis. Your disciplined, deliberate approach to learning that marries Justin’s general material with Troy’s metal material is an example to all who come to learn to play with a specific aspiration to play a particular genre. The foundation is essential to build the specific upon but while it takes time with dedication you can make satisfying progress relatively quickly.

I am also reminded of a comment by Keith Richards (my paraphrase/context) who said when asked if he considered himself to be a lead guitarist said there’s no such thing, you are simply a guitarist and play what is needed to serve the song.

Keep rocking on!

4 Likes

@BigLuc Thanks Luc!

@DarrellW Thanks Darrell, you’re absolutely right; the biggest difficulty I’ve found with this study regarding vibrato is just how little time you have to do it. At my current level I could on average only get 2 bend and releases before having to jump all the way back to the open E5.

Also yeah I like Troy’s studies because they are specifically arranged by him to practice the chapter content.

@DavidP Thanks David and welcome back! I couldn’t agree more with you. I’ve said this before regarding Troy’s material, despite it starting from the beginning I’d say it’s not too beginner friendly. Justin’s material is so much better for beginners and spends a lot of time teaching you how to practice. He also tends to put a ton of detail into his explanations where Troy may gloss over a little (Vibrato is great example) Putting the two together has really pushed my progress forward in ways I couldn’t have imagined when I started playing 8 months ago.

2 Likes