All About Capos

Hi @stitch,

I readily admit that I know nothing at all about playing the guitar. :wink:

There are just so many concepts and aspects about playing the guitar that I feel quite overwhelmed. I know that Iā€™m a guy who likes to ā€œunderstandā€ things (Iā€™m a [software] engineer by profession :wink:) and think about things. Often ā€œoverthinkā€ things. And now I donā€™t know where I should even try to start to get a better understanding. I think thatā€™s a big part of my frustration.

@Klimperer42
Start at grade 1 follow the lessons put in the practice time.
You didnā€™t because a software engineer a week into grade school.
The best way to understand something is to start at the beginning
and work your way throw. The music theory you learnt on the
piano applies to guitar as well. So this will help you understand
the guitar.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Capo in the App?

Thereā€™s lots of talk about capo just easier chords, but they sound different! Itā€™s the same tones, but you get another sound/voicing I think when playing open chords than mixing with barre chords. Useful when writing songs too.

1 Like

I got the capo with the handle that Justin recommended, but my guitar always goes out of tune when I put it on. Help?

1 Like

@Elwong3
There are several factors to consider.
If the capo spring is too strong it can grip the strings too tightly and make the notes go sharp.
If you have jumbo frets a similar thing can happen.
If your action is very high a similar thing can happen.
One tip. Detune your strings a little before placing the capo. Always tune up to pitch. When the capo is applied - not touching or super close to the fret, it can be a little behind - then tune up to the appropriate pitch.
I hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard | JustinGuitar Approved Teacher, Official Guide & Moderator