Al's Learning Log

Thanks Phil! :smiley:

Glad it’s useful! I was thinking yesterday ‘I should look at what’s next to learn’ but instead just spent more time ‘consolidating’… :smile:

My practice routine now pretty much consists of improving on the quality of songs I can ‘roughly’ play or flicking through Justin’s beginner song books and picking new songs to have a go at and trying the little extras I might have skipped like riffs, bridges, 7 chords, slash chords, power chords, pushed chords, F chord, different fingerstyle patterns etc.

While at the beginning of the journey those details felt intimidating, now I have enough knowledge and awareness to not be put off by them and have a go at them. And enough grounding to still make it through the song on the basic patterns.

As above, starting to learn more solos or melodies and am going to look at improvising within the scale pattern.

Current songs I’m looking at include Summer of ‘69, Seven Nation Army and yesterday picked up Sitting on the Dock of the Bay. I’m also looking for entry songs into barre chords and might try Wicked Game.

Next as Robert (ChasetheDream) was commenting in his Log yesterday - I want to learn to sing… :man_singer:

1 Like

Hi Al, I’m catching up with your log. I like the care with the dynamics that you put in your guitar playing, so just with the chords and the strumming it sounds like a song and not an exercise. I was wondering if your piano playing has helped with that as you hit each string as if you were playing a piano note. About going back and forth with the lessons good you are revisiting some lessons. I think that at this stage everything helps with everything. About pedals, nice setup. For me a multi-fx was the way as I am still exploring which effect do what.

1 Like

Thanks Andrés, appreciate the read and comments… :smile:

I have been trying to pick up songs that I can capture some of the feel of them so it’s nice if that comes through thanks. :blush:

1 Like

Managed to get away to Yorkshire countryside over half term with extended family but was able to find some quiet time for music :smile:

Also found the MusicRoom in York well stocked with a certain set of guitar books… :grinning:

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Al. Looks like a great place for R&R. Good to see the books available.

1 Like

Never dawned on me that such a classic track was played on guitar til it popped up on my Youtube feed! Thought I’d see who was doing the noble thing to learn it with the new release. Nice playing, look forward to hearing the finished article.

1 Like

Been a while… Been catching up again and looking forward to joining the audience in the next Open Mic. :guitar: :grin:

I’ve still been playing and practicing guitar but scaled back on a few things to still fit what I could in. Managed to catch a few music festivals over the summer which were great to be at. Started volunteering with something non-music related that absorbed some more time but now gearing back up…

I started in person guitar lessons in November which was an interesting contrast and am now at a point to try and apply some of that to the lessons from here. Been mostly looking at classical pieces fingerstyle on an acoustic which helped unlock fingerstyle playing - something I had never managed to get my head around on my own. Its was nice going in to lessons with a grounding already so wasn’t starting from complete basics (although lots of trepidation from my guitar teacher).

I’m now revisiting some of the fingerstyle approaches to songs I’ve looked at before and rewatching some of those song videos from another perspective.

All the best and looking forward to reconnecting with you all! :smiley: :heart:

6 Likes

Glad to see you back Al, see you Saturday

1 Like

Welcome back Al, will be great to hear some of that fingerstyle when you’re ready to share!

1 Like

Good to hear from you, Al. Thanks for the update and look forward to the finger-style recordings.

1 Like