Am I taking to Long to Learn?

This is all definitely reenergized the drive. Just got to go get things done and figured out! (Fingerstyle and happy birthday are now kicking my butt like the F-Chord did, so now it’s on to master that) wish me luck!

Hi Josh ,
:index_pointing_at_the_viewer:
Luck!

Many have gone before you…and many have struggled with it :sweat_smile:

Have fun :sunglasses:

Greetings Rogier

4 Likes

NO, NO,NO…………
There’s no time limit on how long it takes to learn Guitar, I’ve been playing for nearly 60 years now and still have plenty to learn!
Honestly don’t even think about putting a time scale on it because there IS always something new to learn!
If you love playing guitar it’s a lifetime commitment, end of! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Excelent answer :slight_smile:

R

Hi there, I have been learning for a year now and I am still struggling with things. I am going between Grade 1 &2 I feel like I am not doing as well as I should be but as everybody says it’s a journey not a race. I play most days for 2-3 hours and sometimes longer. I have also started having 1-1 lessons and think that is helping but I have only had 5 so far. Age is also against me as I am 74 but I am positive and will get there so listen to everybody they all make sense there is no rush as long as your are enjoying the journey. Good luck

2 Likes

I think many of us push through lessons pretty fast only to realize that the lessons are about actually learning the stuff rather than checking off the lesson box. (What? It got me through med school)

I probably am in good company that I have been somewhere near the end of grade 3 for the past two of my 3 year journey, and am staying here for a while.

Soooo much to do and learn here.

3 Likes

Actually the leeson are about learning to use stuff to make music.
If you learn the G, Em, C and D chord and can’t play 5 songs you’re not learning how to play the guitar. You’re just learning stuff.

So when it comes to learning songs, would you go for something a little challenging like say something with a mix of picking individual strings and strumming mixed together, or stick to songs for chords we already know like on Justin’s app? Maybe branch out a bit and challenge by learning songs that might not be covered in the lessons in that time, or using it to refine the stuff already learned?

My thoughts on this subject is you really can’t stay to long in module 1 or any module because there is so much to learn and it is a marathon however moving to quickly could be risky, missing important techniques etc. I’m in my 8th month I recently started grade 2 and I’m on lesson 4 or 5 and doing my best to stay in the moment and just take it one day at a time. Building up my toolbox and mastering as many aspects of playing the guitar as I move forward. My plate is full and I have plenty to work on.

1 Like

Know the feeling quite well! Just keep at it and it will all come along nicely.

1 Like

I’ve been TOO QUICK to learn and put the guitar down. Then, I did it again. And once again. Now I’m taking ENOUGH TIME to learn and I’m sticking with it. How much time did I waste by not taking too much or enough time? The only way that you are taking too much time is if you are getting so bored that you want to put the guitar down. As has been suggested, get with an in-person or over-internet instructor to see if you need to be pushed out of the nest.

2 Likes

Yeah, I for sure don’t believe I am there yet. Just now started to finally get the F-Chord consistent to play fully, but changing to it is definitely a work in progress. Then with Fingerstyle, I am getting there with happy birthday, but don’t have it memorized yet and sus chords are still messing with me and how my hand position is with the D chord. This was really before I got into what I am doing now and it is obvious to stick with it a while longer and really refine it like I did module 1. Just wasn’t sure if I was taking longer to learn these things than the baseline average, which makes me work at it even harder to catch up.

Nice helmet by the way. I ride myself.

1 Like

NO!

(Some other text to make up the minimum required for a post)

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

That was on my utility atv that I use for backwoods camping, etc. In my youth I used to race during the Winter as I didn’t play basketball. I’d do the indoor circuit, usually at fairgrounds. I wasn’t in any danger of winning anything, but I really had fun, especially in the pits. It was something my dad and I could do together.

1 Like

Sounds like a great time!

1 Like

Pretty much listen to the folks here. I “officially” started almost a year ago now, and just went back toread my first post in my learning log to see how far I’ve come, and I have not been as dedicated as some, because, you know, life! But I highly recommend starting a learning log using this link (Learning Logs - JustinGuitar Community (for where to put it). Then you can compare yourself to YOU and not to everyone else.

So as everyone else said, no, you’re right where you should be for YOU.

Edit: corrected poor grammar.

3 Likes

I can only echo what you are saying, Luna. For me as well my Learning Log is a really good tool. It helps keeping track, reflecting, getting feedback - and yes, it’s also a good place for putting frustration into words if needed.

I enjoy reading your Learning Log a lot, btw, and I’m always telling myself… if I could only be a disciplined as Luna :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi Josh! I have been thinking about the same issue lately, but it turns out that we would just need to know what to practice, break them down into manageable pieces and have effective practice sessions. And having a great community what like we have here is a great a motivation for us to learn things.

So take your time and do it at your own pace. You will master what you want to learn in no time =]

Cheers!

1 Like

Got a ton I am wanting to learn, so it might take a bit longer than usual! Haha. Just watched a video this morning of someone playing a song I really want to play, and I haven’t even gotten out of the first 3 frets yet and this guy was all the way down at the bottom of the fretboard playing individual notes and doing bends and pulls. I was just thinking to myself where I am now and looking at that and wanting to do just like that and thinking I have a million years to go before I get to that point.

1 Like