An original instrumental idea

I had this idea and decided to give it a shot. I know it’s not perfect in time at the end because I first recorded the solo part and later recorded the backing track though I already knew the progression while soloing. I’d like to get some feedback on my playing and overall phrasing etc. Just a little about me I’ve played for about 4 years but I’ve not been so consistent coz I hit a plateau. Any advice is welcome :blush:
https://youtu.be/lS80MJTM9Lg

17 Likes

Hi Elisha,
It sounds great and you already have a great technique :sunglasses: :clap:… maybe it’s nice to do this a bit better :blush:
Introduce yourself
and share a bit more, because interaction is key :smiley:
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun and I like to hear a lot more from you :sunglasses:
Greetings Rogier

3 Likes

Nice and chilled Elisha, and some lovely licks throughout, gorgeous tone. Unfortunately due to my envy ( :wink: ) I can’t offer you any advice!
PS - seconded to Rogier’s point, it’d be great if you dropped an introduction post too, would be really interested to hear more about your journey so far.

1 Like

Sounds excellent to my ears - including some nice double-stop phrases. I’m struggling to think of any suggestions for improvements: maybe push yourself to work in some of the other pentatonic positions to add in some higher and lower pitch phrases?

Thanks for the warm feedbacks.
A little about me I’m a self-taught guitarist who’s been learning mostly from YouTube and Justin’s site among others. I’ve not been so consistent with my practice but I want to be more serious.
I want to be uploading at least every two weeks and hopefully will learn from you guys.
I know the soloing above could be made better and there’s still much more room for improvement and I’ll try my best to progress.
Another area I feel I need to improve is my shapes coz I’m more comfortable in some and others require some bit of work.
I don’t know if that’s enough introduction (because this is my first forum interaction) anyways I’ll gladly answer if you have any questions. Love from Uganda

4 Likes

Elisha,
That was very enjoyable to watch & listen to. I can’t offer any advice - you’re way above my ability but I will say that to climb up from a plateau it helps to define a goal & work towards achieving it.
For example, if you want to work on specific shapes or phrasing, try to identify songs that use things you want to improve in your playing & play those songs until you have them nailed! You will improve your sound & technique while having fun! It’s so much easier to make time for practice if it’s fun & not just something you force yourself to do because you “have to”.
Hopefully this helps a little bit… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Tod from the USA

Hi Elisha,
This is a perfect introduction :sunglasses: ,But what we mean here when we ask (not obligatory) to say something more in an introduction is meant in the introduction page specially intended for that purpose … That orange colored link I added …like this… Introduce yourself :smiley:

more people will be able to find it if you introduce yourself there and it will save you answering questions and it will be easier for regular guests to find out who they are dealing with…thats more fun :smiley:

Feel free to ask if you want to know anything, my first forum interaction was also here at Justinguitar and it took me a long time to understand most of it (still tricky sometimes :roll_eyes:)

Greetings…

@Ely123 I have way too little knowledge to give you any technical feedback.

What I can say, however, is that I love the relaxed feeling and the soothing tone, if that makes any sense. I had a really bad day at work, but hearing you play I was making up lyrics to your solo “It’s not that bad. Think about. It’s not that bad. Not that bad”.

Thank you so much for sharing your music. You made me feel better :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile: I’m not sure what to advise, but I want to assure you it sounds great. :slight_smile: There’s a nice groove. In the soloing, there’s enough repetition to make it feel like a song, and enough variation to keep it interesting.

The tone is great too. How did you record? Direct or mic’ing amp?

Thanks for the postive feedback and I’ll try to implement all your advice. I’m not surrounded by musicians or the ones I’m surrounded with are not so enthusiastic so this means a lot to me.
Based on some advice by you guys Roger and Notter I made the introducton here; Hello from Uganda!

1 Like

I’m glad you found it great. I usually love repeating some phrases to make it sound more connected than switching from lick to lick but also changing to make it more interesting.
I recorded it directly from the amp then to my simple 4 channel mixer.

1 Like

I’m happy to hear that my music made your day better :blush:. I’m really touched that just sitting behind a guitar and record some stuff like this can have a positive impact on someone’s life.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s the power of music. No matter whether it’s professionally recorded or not :slightly_smiling_face:

Great feel, and laid back groove there man…really leaning into the track. Some great phrasing there that supports the track.
Is the backing track Dm-Em-Am? Ie 4-5-1 in Am? Are you just basically using Am pentatonic, with some additional notes from the full minor scale?
Always interested in how others both approach BTs, and what they utilise/ visualise.

Cheers, Shane

Yes exactly it’s a 4-5-1 in Am. I mostly used the pentatonic scale and could throw in some notes from the full minor scale to add some bit of color.

1 Like

Hi Elisha, that was a very enjoyable tune. Could have listened to it way longer :blush:.
As I’m a beginner, I can’t offer you any competent feedback, but to my ears, it sounded great :star_struck:.
I’m looking forward to hearing more from you :hugs:.

Hi Nikole glad you liked it. I would’ve made it longer but I was only planning to post it on my whatsapp status so I made it shorter than it should’ve been.
I’ll try to record more of such ideas

1 Like

Very nice, Elisha. Superbly mellow vibe :sunglasses:
Welcome to the community :smiley:

1 Like

Great instrumental, really loved it. You have a nice relaxed style to your music. Well done.

1 Like

Hello Elisha and welcome to our community and congratulations on your first AVOYP posting. :slight_smile:

That was a sweet bit of playing. What a super chilled vibe it had going on.