Anyone doing any composing?

@rossbd The Beatles definitely had memorable songs. It seems like their lyrics are really straight forward and that probably helps too. Like even if I like more complicated lyricists like Bob Dylan, Sting, and Billy Corgan I have a harder time remembering them.

@brianlarsen I donā€™t know if that is a good ideaā€¦ :upside_down_face: You donā€™t want to get in trouble! Every once and a while artists get in trouble for having similar sounding stuff. Just sayingā€™ that could form a bad habit.

@goffik Yeah but Iā€™m sure some compositions are just hard to remember no matter how good they are. Like heavy metal stuff where they are all over the fretboard lightning fast. :grinning:

@brianlarsen is just following the guidance given to the letter to get into songwriting :wink:

I donā€™t know about thatā€¦ the one you did at the OM about the crazy hair was very creative taking a story and performing it as a song.

This another lesson you may find interesting

1 Like

@TheCluelessLuthier I understand what you mean. I get ideas for lyrics everywhere and I try and write them down to play with them later. I havenā€™t got the music I want in my head yet but I plan to work on that. :smiley:

1 Like

@Socio Oh oops! I just feel personally that could form a bad habit. But if it works for you then do it! :blush:

1 Like

Iā€™ve still to find something that works for me :thinking:

1 Like

Haha, not many of us here could ā€˜get in troubleā€™ with the big boys if we tried! :laughing:
We usually just pick up a warning that other people own the copyright and will take the money we ā€˜earnā€™ from YouTube advertising etc. Very rarely, it will be actually removed.
Hereā€™s a previous community thread on ā€˜borrowingā€™ :smiley:

1 Like

Cheers, James.
Donā€™t get me wrong- thereā€™s no limit to our ā€˜creativityā€™ and everything we produce isā€™uniqueā€™. I just firmly believe that most of the original thoughts we have, or chord progressions/ melody lines we come up with, have been done before.
Just ā€˜doingā€™ it and enjoying the process is the key :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™ve taken Justinā€™s DICE lesson as my first steps into this, but also taken his lead and changed a chord if it really sounded illogical! Iā€™ve got a couple of sets of lyrics that Iā€™ve written and have one of those songs lined up to a progression that seems to work. If I get to a place Iā€™m happy with it Iā€™ll hit that red button!

Iā€™d like to have a goal of writing one song with multiple tracks as part of my grade 2 consolidation which Iā€™m about to embark on (after OM X)

1 Like

For me itā€™s always chords, then melody, then words. I tried with lyrics first but it made the music too limited, I guess you have to try different ways and see what works for you.

1 Like

Well Justin does say set yourself goals for Grade 2 Consolidationā€¦ so you could change that sentence to ā€œI have a goal of writing one songā€¦ā€ :wink:

1 Like

Yes very true James!! My excuse for not wording it like that is Iā€™ve yet to set my consolidation goals so leaving the option to exclude that (although I wonā€™t :wink: ). Twisted psychology right?!

2 Likes

I never had a personal goal to compose or write songs, but when Iā€™m doing my ā€œblind chordsā€ practice, I pick out chords randomly with no particular intention. After a while, nice sounding patterns start to show up. Iā€™ve recently been coming back to the same chord progression again & again without really meaning to. Itā€™s like this particular sequence has a gravitational pull on me. Canā€™t seem to get it out of my head, so I figure, why not run with it and see where this goes? If I treat it as a verse progression, what might go well with it in a chorus? Is there a vocal melody that would sit nicely on top? I sent the progression to my brother and asked if he could come up with a cool bass line against those chords, he sent back a tab.

I have no idea what Iā€™m doing, especially when it comes to composing a melody, but it is fun to think that a song might eventually grow out of this kind of humble beginning.

1 Like

@direvus Thatā€™s great that you have someone you can bounce ideas off of. If it sounds good to your ears thatā€™s probably a good sign! :+1: :wink: