Are electronics on Acoustic Guitars worthwhile?

@sairfingers

If you want to be able to use the Trio with your Martin, Gordon, then donā€™t let that stop you. Assuming that there are no active options, you can get preamps in external pedal form. I think the crux is balancing desire with budget.

Yes but thatā€™s not a clip on pickup. Of course I could have a proper after market pickup fitted.

Have you looked at something like this, Gordon: https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/rare-earth-magnetic-soundhole-pickup/

Looks like you can fit it yourself without any work being done on the guitar. And youā€™d just have to get used to the lead to the jack coming out from the soundhole.

ā€¦.and never having used it I donā€™t know how good the acoustic setting would sound on my Katana 50 amp.

Yeah. Like I said in my original post, I have a Snark clip on tuner. So having a built-in doesnā€™t do much for me.

What Iā€™m finding is that if I want the Martin 000 Jr with the cutaway style, then I have to get the electronic version. They donā€™t offer the cutaway without. Not sure thatā€™s a big deal. As a beginning player, I havenā€™t ventured away from the first 3-4 frets. But one day, I might want to get further down the fretboard so the cutaway appeals to me. And I like the look of that guitar.

If you like video games, it may be interesting. I personally use my acoustic pickup when I play video games like Rocksmith and yousician. Itā€™s like guitar hero with a real guitar. The note recognition is better when plugged in.

If it only comes with a pickup, then you will have a pickup. Get the guitar you love!

1 Like

A question that could be asked and answered by some of the many BK50 users here :wink:

Iā€™m starting to think about splitting this little side chat off to a new topic.

Feel free to split this off as well.

To me, an electro-acoustic on the Katana on Acoustic setting sounds pretty good: as good as most dedicated acoustic amps in a similar price range. However, with a piezo pickup it does have that classic piezo quality, just as it would on any acoustic amp.

If you have a piezo pickup and want to avoid that, it is possible to use BTS to configure an effect which makes it sound more natural. Thereā€™s two possible effects.

One is called ā€œGUITAR SIMā€, and has a ā€œP to ACā€ setting which ā€œChanges a piezo pickup tone to an acoustic guitar tone.ā€.

The other is called ā€œAC. PROCESSORā€ which states ā€œThis processor allows you to change the sound produced by the pickup on an acoustic electric guitar, creating a richer sound similar to that obtained with a microphone placed close to the guitar.ā€

I seem to recall that I preferred the sound of the ā€œGUITAR SIMā€ on ā€œP to ACā€ setting, but YMMV.

Of course, that shouldnā€™t be needed with a mic pickup.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Donā€™t be in to much of a hurry to split the topic David. Itā€™s all kind of related.

1 Like

Sorry to continue the hijack, good to split into an acoustic amplification thread?

I have BK head 100 mkii

Clean amp w/gain 15, presence 5 modern
Mod: compression, mild, sustain 5, attack 5, tone0, level 75

Nothing else and I can hardly tell the difference between it and my unamplified guitar. A good place to start, but different guitars and (slightly) different amps ymmvā€¦

Patches can be sent by emailā€¦

What sort of pickup do you have?

Cheers,

Keith

Under saddle piezo. Not sure the brand, I am out of town so canā€™t look. I am definitely not pushing them hard at all, so the probably wonā€™t do as well if I did, but at practice volume with headphones, it sounds pretty close to the guitar.

Why would you practice an acoustic guitar with headphones on? :grinning:

Good question! It is to get my amp set up so I can try and record from it. When I record, right now I only have a tablet and the built in mic which is not only terrible, it picks up my wife talking or clanking, 40 feet away, louder than the guitar right in front of it.:roll_eyes:

1 Like

I practice acoustic guitar with headphones on, because I play along with songs from YouTube. I connect my laptop to the amp via Bluetooth, so I hear both the songs and the guitar through the headphones. Itā€™s less annoyance to my wife that way.

1 Like

@Jamolay @markr31
Now I know!:smiley:

1 Like

Have you tried the FX I mentioned at all? IMO itā€™s worth a play.

On the other hand, if you are already happy with the sound, then thatā€™s good.

Cheers,

Keith

I will definitely try what you suggest. I just started with something that is pretty translucent at low volumes. I think something to make it less like a piezo will help refine it, but what I donā€™t want is for it to sound like any guitar but mine.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious, why would you want to put a effect on an acoustic? I get it with electrics but not sure why on acoustics.