Short attempt at 12-bar rock n roll rhythm

I’m still very early in my guitar journey but I figured I’d post a video of my first attempt at a 12 bar blues progression. This is part of my practice for playing “hound dog” from Justin’s beginner song book 2nd edition which is why I stop at 11 bars (He suggests muting the 12th bar at certain parts since it sounds cool). Not too focused on getting BPM song accurate but want rhythm to sound good, making sure I can change the chords and my strumming consistent. As you can see I have a lot of work to do :slight_smile:

So far I’ve learned that chord changes are hard (lol), I can pretty consistently get 60 when I’m practicing but have a more difficult time when playing songs. I’m practicing my strumming a lot because I’m struggling. I feel like the pick wants to fly off of my fingers despite using a really thin pick. Any advise is very much appreciated.

13 Likes

Hey it works, nicely done! Posture and technique look good to me so keep doing what you’re doing. All the issues you described will sort themselves out with time so the only advice I can give is to keep at it. Great job! Looking forward to seeing more! :slightly_smiling_face:

Awesome looking guitar by the way, love the color!

What he ^^^^^^^ said.
We all have to start somewhere!
If you’re not a lefty then you’ll need to use your phone’s main camera instead of the front one, nearly everyone does that first time!
Great stuff for posting this early on in, it’s great to break the ice so you know it’s friendly :joy:

Sounds good to me, now some nice overdrive FX to get some grit, crank up the amp and off you go!

1 Like

Thanks! Seafoam green is not the color I would have chose initially and I’m really partial to the look of les pauls but this Squier Bullet Mustang HH was on sale for $50 off so I had to grab it, lol. It grew on me though!

I told my self if I hit the one year mark I’ll celebrate by gifting myself an Epiphone Les Paul studio, I really dig it in Alpine White. :grinning:

Thanks for the advice! I’m a lefty that plays right hand, didn’t notice the camera till after I posted but I’ll be sure to use the main camera next time.

Super nervous posting something for the first time. Everyone seems really nice on the forums though, will definitely post more as I progress.

1 Like

Sounds good to me, now some nice overdrive FX to get some grit, crank up the amp and off you go!

Just got my Boss Katana 50 in the mail and just started playing around with it. Really excited to start playing with the FX!

1 Like

Keep up the posting. We’ve all been at that beginner stage and know how important encouragement is. I liked how you were very steady with the up / down motion of you strumming hand.

Don’t knock it, the Bullet Mustang is the best of the Bullet series and is great for starting out. It’s pretty capable of playing anything really but especially good if you’re a Nirvana fan!

Don’t knock it, the Bullet Mustang is the best of the Bullet series and is great for starting out. It’s pretty capable of playing anything really but especially good if you’re a Nirvana fan!

Oh yeah, I love this thing! Looking forward to playing Smells like Teen Spirit as soon as I get to power chords!

1 Like

Sounds superb I have Katana 50 as well and it’s a great toy to play with I am sure you will dial in some sweet tone! :slight_smile:

That’s sounding pretty good to me. You’re on the right path, just keep moving forward. (And post your progress!)

Congratulations on the new amp!

Good start Alexis, what everyone else has said so far. Solid rhythm and clean changes. The stop works and fits the original. Good foundation to build on. :sunglasses:

Well done on your first AVoYP Alexis. The 12 bar blues is fun and you’ve made a great start.

I hear your reasons for stopping at 11 bars but I’d suggest for this sort of practice you play the full 12. It’ll help you get the I IV V format embedded into to your mind.

Bravo, Alexis, posting that first recording is a big old scary step. Well done on taking the plunge.

You are making excellent progress, as others have said: clean chords, smooth changes, steady strumming.

I also noticed your leg bouncing to the beat which is good and then it stopped as you made the first change. Good idea to work on keeping that going.

On your camera, depending on the phone, you may be able to use the front-facing camera with a setting to flip the image. Convenient to see what you are filming and helpful not to see it flipped.

Keep doing what you are doing, look forward to your next regarding.

Nicely done Alexis and well done on your first AVOYP post.

Hey Alex,

Congratulations on your first post! And it was pretty well done mate, so early in your journey. Looks like you’ve got all the basics moving in the right direction.
Strumming and rhythm is very good, which is a crucial skill.
You’ll be amazed at what you’ll be doing in a few months with a solid base like that.

Cheers, Shane

Well done Alexis. I can’t add to what the others have said. You’re on track for sure.

Nice job, quality strumming and solid chord changes…keep it coming!

If you haven’t started a “road case” post, I suggest you do and put the link to your video in it, then add to the list as you post more…will build a nice history of your progression over time.

Hi Alexis, a very worthy first attempt at 12 bar blues. For me I would like to have heard a tad more “shuffle” in the rhythm.

1 Like