Attempting my first rock solo

Iā€™m having a crack at my first rock song, to consolidate my grade 2 and move on to grade 3.

Iā€™ve not done a solo before, played or learned, so apart from taking it slow and learning in sections does anyone have any top tips for helping me nail it?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Youā€™ve literally just stated the two most important things yourself. The only thing I would add, assuming that ā€œnailing itā€ means getting it just like the real thing, is to listen to the actual artist playing the solo repeatedly. Try to ā€œfeelā€ the way they are playing it, if that makes sense, as itā€™s about more than just the notes.

Of course if you want to play it with your own personal feel then thatā€™s cool too. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

From my vast solo experience Stefan :wink: :rofl: (Justinā€™s blues solo and learning the solo from Californication) it is exactly as youā€™ve said. Break it up into sections and really get those under your fingers and slowly piece them together. Certainly helps to repeatedly listen to the original, like you would with any song really, and understand any nuances in picking / bends.

It is a lot of fun though so enjoy the process, Iā€™ll look forward to the grand reveal!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome Stefan, I myself am starting to learn lead and have had similar thoughts/questions.

The way Iā€™m doing it is focusing on exercises for techniques that are part of the solo. The obvious stuff like scales with a metronome but hammer on/pull off and string bending oneā€™s focused on getting the technique right not necessarily the specific solo.

And of course you already nailed the other aspects of breaking down to soloā€™s licks and learn them slowly. Iā€™m using software that slows the solo down and playing with it until I get it up to speed, then with a metronome by myself at 100%.

Anyway, thatā€™s how Iā€™m doing it but Iā€™m no expert lol. I still worry everyday about bad habits and the like, so take this with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

Which song or songs are you going for?
The temple of the king is rather easy, you could start with that.
Itā€™s sufficiently slow, with some nice bends, I think youā€™ll enjoy it.
Like you saidā€¦ take it slow and break it down :wink:

2 Likes

@SgtColon , have you chosen the song already? Choosing the right solo is key, to my mind.

You donā€™t want it too difficult, but long enough to be satisfying. The solo from ā€œWonderful Tonightā€ is often recommended as a 1st solo to try, and itā€™s nice, but itā€™s only 4 bars long ā€“ not really enough to sink your teeth in. I learned the solo from Let it Be as my first. ā€œSomethingā€ is also a good one for beginners.

I definitely found that being fairly proficient with minor pentatonic patterns 1 and 2 was helpful when undertaking those.

3 Likes

Listen to it in minute detail until you know it off by heart, then start to transpose it bit at a time, then get your tone right and learn it a few bars at a time, but add extra bars to what youā€™ve learned not separately until youā€™ve got the lot down. Then polish it up until youā€™re satisfied with it.

1 Like

Listen to the song hundreds of times so itā€™s baked in your brain.

I like to use Guitar Pro to slow it way down and play along with it too

1 Like

This Stefan, even if it is note by note. Not clear from your post if you are transcribing or learning from other material. Doesnā€™t matter learn it bit by bit and play it real slow.
Some good suggestions above if you have not chosen anything yet.

Good luck !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

@SgtColon Catch The Rainbow would be another slow Blackmore solo. Normally around the 2 minute mark on most recordings.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Very good point. I donā€™t know why this hasnā€™t made it in my list. I have to bump it up a bit.
Perhaps ā€œWhen a blind man criesā€ too?

2 Likes

You got it, Stefan, slow and steady is the way. Listen to it heaps until you can ā€œsingā€ it in your head, that helps a lot with getting the feel I think.
Also another vote for using Guitar Pro or Ultimate Guitar pro tabs for slowing the speed to play along with. With GP8 having the option to add the actual recording as a track along with the tab is super useful! :sunglasses::+1:
Enjoy the process, canā€™t wait to see the results! :metal:

2 Likes

Thank you for the great replies everyone. Some really good advice in there.

Iā€™ve found a copy of the solo I want to learn for Guitar Pro so Iā€™ll be slowing it down in there. Not transcribing. Thatā€™s something I still need to get into.

Itā€™s an AC/DC song but I want to do it at one of the OMā€™s, once I get the solo down, so not going to say which one.

2 Likes