Attempting to play Blackbird - The Beatles (63 days guitar progress)

Yes, it will feel quite strange at first, because you have got in the habit of doing it your way, and changing that will feel somewhat “wrong” at first.

It may even set you back a bit at first…you probably won’t be able to play as fast or as accurately for a little while…but you pick up things very quickly, so it shouldn’t be long.

Only you can decide if it is worth it, but I believe your back will thank you in the long run. And you may even find that you progress faster and can practice longer once your playing posture improves.

1 Like

Really good. A studio guitarist I worked with many years ago told me to never practice speed, practice for perfection and speed will come on its own. My advice is to relax and practice until you can play it without having to constantly look at your left hand. Don’t worry about the speed for now. Repetition is the key.

3 Likes

Thank you, I will try to perfect it

WOW ! Sounds great ! You’re a natural ! Keep on my friend !

1 Like

Did he mean 63 months ! That was very good for some one 63 days in.

3 Likes

Making good progress Oliver. It’s good that you have taken on board the feedback from your previous recording and remain aware of what you need to work on. Things will feel unnatural when you make changes to how you play. Totally agree with practicing slowly and perfectly. Just keep working on being able to play it comfortably and accurately at a set bpm and gradually increasing the speed.

I suggest you pop over to #community-hub:introduce-yourself and tell us a little bit about yourself, your guitar journey so far, where you are on the course and your aspirations for learning here in the Justin Guitar Community.

2 Likes

Nicely done. I’ve been working on this tune as well and I’m not near as smooth as you are. Now I’m a bit more motivated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome, I have definitely been practicing this one a bit more than I would like to admit and this was not the first take :sweat_smile:. Keep up the motivation :grinning:

I have played for over 30 years and tried twice to learn this song and just can’t get the little funny picking pattern and I fingerpick in a few different styles. You have a gift for guitar at ur pace of learning and practice will increase speed naturally. I am also a big proponent of straps as it relieves back and shoulders. But I’m almost 70. I would try a strap and bring the guitar up if a towel helped. I would also try standing then. Pick hand position is truly different for all. You might also try a strong pinky base. I have found moving onto the next tune to just keep u learning and you can keep coming back as your confidence builds

1 Like

That was amazing! :smiley: Very impressive for 63 days in! :clap: :clap: :clap: (or otherwise too!)

Nope, no, not me either… :laughing:

2 Likes

That was really good Oliver well done! You just have to play it over and over again to smooth out any rough edges and get to the original speed. Took me probably 3-4 months based on my checks from the past to fully learn it up to speed and cover it with singing, but I had some previous history with a guitar as well which helped greatly :sweat_smile: all the best and see you around!

1 Like

Really really nice guitar playing. You will have that in no time and do take advice on looking after your spine and body.

1 Like

I’m quite incredulous- for me this is extraordinary progress - it’s an intermediate (?) level piece with some really tricky fretwork and an upbeat tempo. You are smashing it Oliver. No doubt soon you will be mastering the legendarily tricky Never going Back Again. Happy playing dude…

2 Likes

You are doing ever so well, Oliver. Already sounding clean and fluent. Just keep practicing.

Lots of sensible advice already given.

All I can offer is the point of dedicating more practice time to the bits that are more difficult, where you still need some polish. Don’t practice the song start to finish all the time. Apologies if somebody mentioned that and I missed it.

2 Likes

First of all, GREAT job! As for your picking fingers, as long as your thumb or finger don’t get in the way of the others, do what’s comfortable for you. Playing the way “you’re supposed to” can be very uncomfortable for some, including me. Regarding your posture, it will be fairly easy to correct when playing something you know well. I’d guess I’m more than 50 years your senior. If I played sitting like that for more than about 10 minutes, I’d have to call for my wife to help me up! :rofl:

2 Likes

@oliverl , if you want to dig deeper into the whole issue of posture and sitting position, this is a really good thread.

2 Likes

This sounds like the record basically! really really well done!

1 Like

Oh, forgot to mention that this was a song I was trying to learn ages ago when I was trying to learn classical guitar. When I gave up on classical guitar because of the difficulty of barre chords (for like 20 years!), I’d put this song away as well, but I found that I was able to pick through a lot of the chords the other day, inspired by you, so I think I’ll try to learn the whole thing soon! I’ve only ever learned like the 1st half, but I don’t think there’s much more new after that.

Great job there Oliver, it is coming along nicely. Very impressive after such a short time playing guitar.

Unbelievable progress for 63 days over. Looking forward to more from you.