Back at 62, struggling to get practice plan

absolutely, I am thinking out of the box, I tried earlier to be perfect and started to hear songs that were sang by different artists and they put their own twist on it, so I will take my time and try to make the song mine but as clean as it can be

Rich,
I think I understand completely. I have been on and off with the guitar for more than 10 years and I am 82. Do I love it-----YES! Sadly, I will let days go by and then pick it up. When that happens those 20 minutes that Justin tells about turns into 60. This is what I do. I must tell I have gone through a lot of the courses and of course, jump around too. But when I decide to get back at it, I do to the lesson plans and refresh my memory and my fingerā€™s memories. But listen to the advice of playing songs, it is most valid. Keep on strumming. I have my acoustic in the living room next to the TV so when I am watching and commercial comes on I will pick it up and mess around with chords and learning the fretboard. Good idea to mute the TV sound. HA! But when I am into it I go in the other room, and pick up my electric and go through a couple of lesson and then on to a song or two. I wish you luck.
Bill

2 Likes

Hi Bill,

Congrats at 82 and going strong. I have my guitars now up in the living room and now going to do the same. I figure a few weeks to get me focused once my fingers get back in shape or close to it. I am looking at different songs I like and may go back to Margaritaville since Jimmy B passed. Itā€™s tough because life gets I the way but hopefully this forum will help me get back on track.

Hi Rich, welcome to the community forum. Iā€™m 68 and have been trying to finally master the beginner grades after several attempts. I think it is useful to start your own post in the Community Learning Log section and keep track of what you are doing and what you have accomplished. If you donā€™t have a teacher to give you feedback on your playing, it might help to post a sample of your playing to the Beginner space in the Community Recording section and get friendly advice. I also keep a daily log to keep track of what I am playing and where I am in the Module practice schedule. I take days off from the schedule practice routines to play songs. There is a lot of good advice from posts above, especially looking in the Song section for Christmas song lessons and downloading Justinā€™s free Christmas song book. Have fun learning songs for the holidays.

I trust things are going well with you.
Bill

Hi Rich! Nice to meet you!

This was where I was. Iā€™ve been playing for a while but Iā€™m self taught mostly so I didnā€™t really have any structure to what I was doing or learning. I started from the very beginning. Lesson 1. Some of those lessons I was able to just watch and move on without much practicing, but even on topics I thought I knew, Justin had some pro advice that has helped in places I didnā€™t know I needed help. Then I just worked through until I started to slow down a bit. When the practices got a little tougher, I started spending more time in those areas.

Welcome aboard, youā€™ll find where you fit in very soon. Good luck!
-Jeff

Donā€™t give up or be discouraged. Just keep that guitar handy and you will pick it up.
Bill

1 Like