Saturno - July 2022 - Back to the Old House (The Smiths) plus Here, There & Everywhere (The Beatles)

A haunting Smiths song with a wonderful Johnny Marr guitar part. Trying to play and sing this at the same time is like rubbing your tummy and patting your head. Sadly, I fluff it right at the end, grrr :grimacing:

plus

Here, There & Everywhere

11 Likes

You clearly know what you are doing to play like that and sing at the same time :+1:

1 Like

Bravo Claudia.
We don’t get too much Johnny Marr / Smiths in AVOYP, just occasionally one will drop and it stands out.
Yours stands out for so many good reasons.
Bravo.
Fantastic stuff.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

What a marvellous piece of music you’ve given us Claudia.

1 Like

Wow Claudia, you’re a very advanced player. What a great piece of playing and singing. Thanks for the great share.

I went and read through your intro post - I think you’re truly beyond the level where you need to be worried about playing in front of others.

1 Like

A lovely performance, Claudia. Lots going on to play and sing that, so clearly tummy rubbing and head patting is well within your capabilities.

1 Like

Some deft finger work going on there at both ends of the guitar and a silky smooth voice in the middle. That was wonderfully played and sung. Too old to know the Smiths catalogue so this was complete new to me. Very pleasant on the ears, even for this old rocker.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Claudia,
Great performance… :sunglasses: :bouquet:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hey Claudia! So nice to meet you. I listened to this and the David Bowie song too. Both very impressive. You are a natural. I look forward to hearing so much more from you. Great playing and lovely vocals.

1 Like

Great playing and singing. Did you write that finger picking arrangement yourself?
Johnny Marrs guitar parts are always super creative and difficult, your version looks difficult too! Would take me a bit of learning.

1 Like

Did I write it myself? Ha. No way! I wouldn’t have a clue! I downloaded the tab for Marr’s arrangement and worked very hard practising it. Then, slowly and painfully added the vocal.

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone for the encouragement. This really was a labour of love so I’m glad it seems to have been worth the effort.
I’ve just taken my guitar to the shop to have it re-stringed as I thought it was beginning to sound a bit off. Really looking forward to getting it back with its first change of strings!

1 Like

Beautifully played and sung Claudia, I really enjoyed that.

You could save yourself some cash by reading this. :smiley:

2 Likes

Money savings tips from the other side of Hadrian’s Wall. Whoodda thunk ? Good call Gordon. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Claudia you’re back!! What a terrific performance, thank you! Love your playing and singing, awesome version of the song, somehow moodier than Morrisey (in a good way!!)
Very impressive finger style.
:clap:

PS - definitely invest a little practice in changing strings yourself, Justin’s got videos on this, it isn’t too difficult and actually quite rewarding!

That was excellent Claudia, I really enjoyed it!
Yes you can definitely save some money by learning to change you strings and it will give you the freedom to pick a preferred brand or investigate others.
Keep them coming, looking forward to the next one!

2 Likes

Moodier than Morrisey - I like that! Didn’t think that was even possible :joy:
Thank you!

1 Like

I will definitely look at Justin’s tutorial for next time. Thanks all.

That was wonderful Claudia and the fluff, well I only noticed it because you shook your head. We are soooo critical of ourselves.

1 Like

Wow Claudia that took me all the way back to listening to the Smiths in my bedroom on headphones endlessly as a “lad.” Your playing seems flawless - the energy is calm but constant, like a pulsing stream. Beautifully sung as well. Will have to add this one to my bucket list.

1 Like