Barre chord changes - stay on 6th string or switch between 6th and 5th?

You are right with that one!

A lot! When I do think back it’s actually a surprise how far I have come to be honest.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll have a look for that one.

@Stuartw That’s good to hear, Stuart. So based on that you can have confidence that in time you will master F. It is helpful to remember that and have that growth learning mindset, that does require us to be patient and understanding as we learn the new and challenging things. Enjoy the learning process day-by-day

1 Like

Absolutely, go in with the mindset not to be perfect but to be better than you were the day before or the week before as not only will you see the progress but you will feel good about it each day you pick up the guitar.

1 Like

@DavidP just a thought but would it be easier to find songs if you were able to filter by grade 2 for example and then filter by individual chords rather than having to filter with all chords in the song?

@Socio a good thought, James. I went to Songs after reading only the first part of the thought and as I looked at the filter options I had the same thought about the chord filter functionality. I will raise with the Team.

1 Like

I find that the chord filter works great. If you knew about chords in a key, you could select G, Em, C and D and get lots of songs. If you don’t know anything about chords in a key, you could still just select all the chords you know how to play, e.g.:

This will result in ton of songs, and none of them will have F, Fmaj7 or Dm. You could use other filters, like “Difficulty level” to further refine the search, if you want.

The problem with that is that it will also show you songs that don’t use all of those chords. So if Stuart was to select 4 chords including the F chord not all of the songs coming up would use the F chord. Stuart is just looking for grade 2 songs that specifically have the F chord in them.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

Hi John, no need to apologise. I thought your response was rather helpful and learning the chords in a key is very useful. Otherwise you’re just selecting random chords in the filter the way it currently works.

1 Like

Correct, and the filtering at the moment is useless if you don’t know what other chords are used in a particular songs. If I pick F why doesn’t is list out all the songs with F in them?

That’s the problem. I don’t know about keys and what chords go with what! The filtering needs to work better.

It would indeed, as that would help a lot.

Back to the original topic:

I watched one of Justin’s video lessons a couple of days ago. In it he played a four chord progression using only 6th string barre chords. The progression was from the F chord up to the D or E from memory. I was very happy to see that, because I’m struggling with the 5th string A-shape barre chord. I find it much more difficult than the 6th string E-shape barre.

@Stuartw Stuart, I have passed this suggestion on to the Team.

1 Like

The problem with songs with the F major chord is the key of C, F, and Bb are the only keys with an F major chord. For some reason Justin has overlooked this and has no songs in the Key of C in grade 1 or 2 exept Jambalaya and it only has 2 chords C and G.
@DavidP maybe you could bring this to Justin’s attention and he can do 5 or 6 grade 1 and 2 songs using C, F and G. In the mean time @Stuartw look up songs lesson on Youtube using C,F and G
Also C, F, Am and G.

Hey @Stuartw, if you dig the Rolling Stones, You Can’t Always Get What You Want has a bunch of C-F changes that you can work on (along with the rhythm).

You could also try Like a Hurricane by Neil Young as the chord progression (the song is in C) can be played with root 6 barre chords if you like. Though for the choruses I’d recommend open chords (save for the F) as they make the changes quicker.

Actually, I’m wondering now if the chord filter is working as intended. For example, Let it Be and Have You Ever Seen the Rain both use C, G, Am, F, but neither appear if you select those chords in the filter. Is this because they have bass runs which are considered slash chords, like Am/G in Rain? (I think Let it Be also has such runs, but I haven’t watched Justin’s lesson.)

If that is the case, I consider that a bug. In other words, selecting Am in the chord filter should select Am/G and any other Am slash chords.

BTW, @Stuartw, Let it Be and Have You Ever Seen the Rain are two songs that use F. If you leave out the bass runs (slash chords), they are quite easy (aside from having the F, or course).

1 Like

@jjw I think your right. I know Dreams by Fleerwood Mac has F and G but when you search for it using the filter it doesn’t come up. It doesn’t come up if your type in Dreams or Fleetwood Mac in the song search but it does in the search on the home page if the sight.

Thanks. Not understanding why all songs with F are not listed.