Barre Chords - better to learn on acoustic or electric?

The upside of sticking with acoustic is that barre chords will seem like a piece of cake on an electric afterwards. The downside of acoustic is that if it’s so hard, you might get overly frustrated (I quit guitar for 20 years over the difficulty, which I greatly regret!).

So, if you are resolved to get through the difficulty (and you’ll find plenty of support on these forums), then I think that resolves the only downside.

Hi Richard, take it slowly, follow the techniques and practice effectively. All as per usual. Keep to acoustic if you can then electric will feel like a breeze. Watch Justin’s lesson!!! ALL the best, mate.

I’ve been on the F barre chord lesson group for a little while. F has gotten to be pretty easy on the electric, but I’m still working on it with my acoustic. Trying to get the change speed up to a usable level as well, but that’ll take a bit of time. :wink:

I’m going to say acoustic. Electric sounds like crap

Welcome to the forums.

I would suggest that, if your barre chords on electric sound “crap”, you have some faults with your technique which you probably need to work on.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::fire:

2 Likes

I too learned my F barre on an acoustic, which was hard going but then when you play it on the electric it is so much easier.

If your main guitar is going to be an acoustic then I’d stick with learning it on that.