Beginner Blues Solo

Well I’m a rank amateur at this, but since everyone else is probably asleep, I’ll have a go at answering! You CAN play any notes from the Am pentatonic scale over a chord progression in the key of A. But playing the root, third and fifth notes from the backing chord being played will sound better. Although if the chords are 7th chords it might get a little more complicated. Hopefully one of the experts will be along shortly to make sense of it all.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll give that a try. I really want to play my own stuff…but it’s hard when you don’t have a clue!

1 Like

@ryanwiley

What Jack says is exactly it.

The minor pentatonic is a 5 note scale and is very user friendly, just try it out and see what happens.

1 Like

Thanks, Richard. After getting the beginner blues riff down (thanks for your backing track on SoundCloud, by the way), “just trying it out” is exactly what I’ve been doing. Have been getting some good sounds, but the question “Am I doing it right?” is always in the back of my mind. In particular, I wonder if I should be using certain notes in the bars of A7, other particular notes in the bars of D7, and other particular notes in the bars of E7. I guess intuitively I just feel that if the chords in the rhythm guitar are changing, so too should the notes I’m playing on the lead! Fun stuff…but quite a learning curve!!

1 Like

@ryanwiley Any of the five notes over any of the chords. You don’t need to worry or think much beyond that. When I say the minor pentatonic is user friendly that is exactly what I mean. Seven note scales can present issues of some notes being good / not good over some chords. With a 12-bar blues playing A7, D7, E7 and the A minor pentatonic it is all systems go, full steam ahead, enjoy the party. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry in advance for all the questions coming up. I just arrived at this module and am enjoying trying out the Blues. I bought the Guitar Pro software today, so I could play the lesson. It seems to be locked; is there a way to unlock it, so we can try things out? I don’t know how to use the software yet; is there a section on the website on how to use it (I tried going through the help pdf for GP, but it was a bit overwhelming)? Are there other lessons that have GP tracks? I have a Katana and a Mac; can I hook the computer up and play backing tracks through the amp? If yes, how do I create the backing tracks, in the software or with my guitar? I’ll stop here.

1 Like

To answer your question Dude, please see above from a bit further up the thread that @Richard_close2u posted in answer to someone else asking if they are locked.

1 Like

There may not be a way to unlock it but it could be a good exercise to replicate it on Guitar Pro whilst getting to know the software.

1 Like

Thanks. I read the thread before I posted. I asked if there’s a way to unlock the file. Any ideas?

Have a great day.

1 Like

How can I replicate it? Export is grayed out, as is the Save As in the File menu. I’m new to music software, so I was looking for some help.

Enjoy your day.

1 Like

Hi Dude.
When I made the backing track above I used guitar pro and created it by referring to the pdf file of the tab that is also downloadable on the lesson page.
Do you know enough about tab creation and guitar pro to be able to do that?

1 Like

Hi Richard,

Okay, thanks. I was hoping for that file to be opened up, so I could play with it. I used MuseScore once on assignment from an online instructor to create my own lick. It was a bit daunting, but I completed the task. MuseScore was a bit limiting, so I’ll try to tackle Guitar Pro. I started on YouTube last night; I just need to find some instruction aimed at my level. Thanks for checking in. I appreciate it.

Have a great day!

2 Likes

@The_Dude I’m new to music software too. When @Richard_close2u posted the matching backing track that he created using Guitar Pro referring to the PDF it inspired me to give it ago. I found it a good way to familiarize myself with the basics of the software.

1 Like

So simple…but so hard when you try to do it with correct timing!

Here’s a link to a recording:

Mod Edit note: we prefer things to be posted once so I took the liberty of changing this post to rather be a link to your recording in AVOYP.

1 Like

@math07 Thanks I missed that. I guess I just normally change the bpm to something I can initially keep up with, and over time, I speed it up as I get the hang of it. Again, I wish Justin would put out more stuff in gp.

Appreciate the help.

1 Like

Thanks for the jam track! That really helps me with the solo and it is so much fun! I also like how Justin is showing us how to count - counting has been a challenge for me but now I’m starting to get it!

1 Like

I have enough trouble playing/remembering the notes never mind doing it in any sort of time.

More to the point why do we have to do it to a ‘time’? Why can’t we just play it as we want to and what fits our ability/skill level.

1 Like

Who said you have to play at a certain tempo? Isn’t Justin’s mantra “start slowly”?

1 Like

Stuart, I’m working on the solo too. Justin tells us in his video, that it’s important to work on a fluent playing and memorizing of each part of the solo first, then to put it toghether and only after being able to play it the whole way through to work on speed and timing issues.
As long as you play it on it’s own, you can play it at your own speed, but as soon as you maybe want it to play over a backing track/blues progression (like Richard’s at the very beginning of this thread) you have to be “in time”. Same, when you play with another guitarist.
I would first learn to memorize the solo and to play it slowly, step by step, and if you can play it, play it along with Justin at the end of the video, that allows you to get a feeling for the timing. Then add the count Justin showes to your tab and try it on your own. It takes time for sure, but it’s worth it and teaches us a lot (getting a feeling for the blues, accuracy, timing, your first step into blues soloing and a lot of fun and joy)

3 Likes

Justin refers to the opening 3 notes of the beginner blues solo lesson intro as the D7 shape of A7. But there ain’t no root note? In the open position A7 there’s a root note on the open fifth string.

1 Like