Beginner frustrations

Nothing to worry about, you’re doing just fine. Keep going.

60 changes in a minute probably seems like it is a long way off right now, it did for me when I was at that stage. Keep on doing the practice and you will get there.

Give yourself time and space. This is a complicated physical skill you are learning. None of it is easy. It takes repetition, repetition and more repetition. Keep going.

1 Like

Thanks Brendan I hadn’t thought of it like that. Much appreciated.

I can’t add much to the superb advice and guidance already given but wanted to share a hand of support to you Angie, 100% we have all been there and we’ve all got through, your practice will pay dividends and you’ll look back at these “struggles” and smile.
All the best! :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Im with Mark on this one Angie. Just keep at it and in the end all the grind is well worth it :grin:
3 weeks are nothing… just keep it going.

And never be embarresed to share anything, whatever you share is all good, and there is tons of people that can help you out :grin:

1 Like

Thanks Mark. So much appreciated. I’ll just get in with it then and not beat myself up!:blush:

1 Like

Thanks Trand, very kind and supportive, just what I need right now.

The simple phrase “Rome wasn’t built in a day” comes to mind; I’ve been playing for over 60 years (I’m 71) and I’m still learning!
Don’t beat yourself up, it’s not productive; avoid like the plague anything that’s not productive. Get rid of negative thoughts and emotions, any learning will improve you time taken is unimportant, the end product is!
Don’t loose sight of your intentions to learn to play regardless of how you feel on the odd occasions when you get stuck on something, if necessary move on to something else and come back to it when you’re in the right frame of mind. Tenacity and consistency is important but not the most important part, enjoying yourself is the most important thing, don’t make any of it a chore. You can and will learn to play - imprint this on your mind!

4 Likes

Wow, you’ve been playing years, at little tinge of envy there from me. Thank you for your wise words, Practice here I come!

1 Like

I’ve been doing this for a year now and whilst still not perfect, it does get easier with practice.

I would recommend videoing yourself, not to post here but in a month or so time, when you feel you may not be getting better, watch that video.

You’ll be suprised by how much you have actually improved!

Keep at it though…

1 Like

You’ve answered your own question Angie. :smiley:
Loads of good advice given above. Stick at it. You’ll get there!

Thank you Gordon, Im blown away by all the responses and feeling very encouraged.

This is a very good advice which I can’t recommend enough. It’s like taking a photo for 20 years of yourself every day and putting it as animation - when you play daily you see no progress, if you watch a video of yourself playing same thing 1 month earlier you will be massively surprised.

2 Likes

Hi Ady, thanks for this, I’m thinking about that one but appreciate the tip.

1 Like

Hi Angie, I am in the same boat as you, as you know, The problems you are facing sounds very familiar :wink:
I like the idea that was given of doing a video for your own use. I am going to have to try that.

Keep the faith, we are with you.

1 Like

Thanks Tony, good luck

1 Like