Beginner starting questions

@CarlHackman

Yeah so far I have a good routine that I’ve been using for a bit now. On weekdays when I get home I have a lot of free time and I have this practice structure so far.
1.5 hours a day if possible but its broken up into
30 mins of lessons right now its everything in module 8 of grade 2
so practicing my stuck 3&4 chords and the open E minor pentatonic scale and the rest…
30 mins of Justin’s music theory course.
And then 30 mins of playing a song I want to learn. Which is still a big MAYBE considering the songs I want to learn currently are with notes I haven’t learned in the beginners course. So debating on whether I should do that or not. But that’s my current practice routine and so far it’s been alright, my fingers do hurt at times which I do take breaks if needed.

2 Likes

I still think

Go steady and learn the basics fully and consolidate.

The fact that you have reached Grade 2 Module 8 after 2-3 months, including having taken a complete break from learning, is definitely an indicator that you are rushing - prompted by your desire to play the complex music you like.

Here is an overview of Grades 1 and 2:

And here are Justin’s recommended practice routines - to be done several times a week for at least a week for the first few modules and longer than a week as the course progresses.

Realistically, taking an estimated average learning and practice route of 30 minutes per day, increasing (after 3-6 months) to 60 minutes per day on core learning, several times per week, Grade 1 is likely to be a 4-6-month or more learning course.
I wrote this recently in this topic.

Beginner Grade 1 has 75 lessons plus essential consolidation. Each lesson requires at least one day of practice time but by the end of Grade 1, in Modules 5, 6 and 7, I would say that to do the learning justice and really get solid in the basics, each lesson should respectfully be given several days or a week or more, each of the seven modules probably starting at one week for module 1 up to several weeks for module 7. I would even (albeit exaggeratedly to make a point) go so far as to suggest treating each module number as a guide to the weeks required.
Modules 1 to 7 = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 = 28 weeks. That is more than six months just there.
Grade 2 has 68 lessons. And as the learning ramps up the technical challenge and skill, each lesson and each module will require extended time to really get to grips with. I would suggest a similar approach.
Modules 8 to 14 = 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 + 12 + 13 + 14 = 77 weeks. That is more than a year.
Okay - those cumulative totals are on the high side. But I would rather encourage that over the opposite of not taking enough time and hitting a brick wall of frustration. As many have done. As you have done.

My recommendation - put those complex dreamer songs on hold, learn a large number of songs [ learn songs, learn songs, learn songs :slight_smile: ] within and at the edge of your skill level and take some backward steps to consolidate.

5 Likes

@Richard_close2u

Yeah I see what your saying, so your saying you think I should start from scratch and rebuild from there? If I’m understanding correctly.
Like start from the very beginning.

Not the very beginning of Module 1, no.
You have completed the lessons of Grade 1. I would say hold it there, make a comprehensive practice routine that is split between consolidation of Grade 1 skills …

… and learning / practicing many Grade 1 songs.

On the Songs page, select from the 110 songs that Justin has categorised using the Grade 1 filter:

1 Like