Beginner's safe space

That was great Oliver well recognizable and really nicely played, bravo! Might have been a bit rushed in few places but this stuff sorts itself ouy usually with more experience and confidence. You are on a right track!

1 Like

That was great Oliver. Nicely played and sung. :+1:

1 Like

Sounding great Oliver, nice share. If you’re ever worried about your guitar playing, just sing louder, amazing voice. Guitar captured the essence of the song too.

1 Like

I already commented earlier… but I forgot how much I liked the song, I’ve been listening to it on Spotify & learned to play it now, I might post up an AVOYP of it in the next few weeks. Such a cracking song, can’t believe it’s not more popular. Hadn’t listened to it in years.

2 Likes

Hi @jkahn great to hear you’re enjoying the song, I was so pleased when I first looked it up and saw the chords. I was like “is that it? Brilliant”. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve looked up a great song and said “Oh, maybe not” or “damn, more bars than a prison”

Back and Forth is another one by the Foo Fighters I’m working on but that’s got F in the chorus so it’s a good exercise in facing up to F, I just slow it down. The verses are A, C, G and D so they’re fun to play and sing. Plus it’s got power chords in the pre-chorus so good value all round. Just a great catchy song too.

2 Likes

Hi there, Brendan from Canberra. I’m on the final module of Justin’s Grade 2 and have been using House of the Rising Sun as my go-to for practicing full barre F chord. It’s still one of my weakest chords, but little by little, it is slowly getting easier.

Here’s my first recorded effort, about 3 weeks ago:

And here’s one from yesterday:

6 Likes

There’s definite improvement in the month there Brendan, as shown with some extra strums and quicker chord changes, well done. Your timing is nice, I think you can trust yourself more on your changes to and from F, let it ring, it feels like you’re doing similar to I did in rushing to and from it. If you’re not already doing it I highly recommend emphasising practicing on the OMC exercise with F to Am, C and G n particular, I found it helped me alot in a relatively short space of time.

You seemed to flow a little more in the July recording in the second half which is great to see, proper documented improvement :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks. I think you’re right, I should add F changes back into my practice routine. I was doing them for a while, but when I moved up a module and the app stopped suggesting it, I stopped doing it. Really need to get more disciplined on the whole “build my own routine” aspect of practice.

Also definitely agree that I do better in the second half of the song. Seems to take me a minute or two to get comfortable and find my groove on some songs.

2 Likes

Great first share Brendan. Definite improvement. Great to see another Aussie around… our numbers are growing.

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:
@direvus
Bravo and congrats on a first recording, Brendan. The progress is clear, keep doing what you are doing.

There are many moments when your strumming keeps moving with your foot-tapping, even if not hitting the strings. That’s a good habit to develop.

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Brendan.

That is coming along nicely and you can see a good improvement in those 3 weeks. Keep at those OMC’s, make them part of your practice routine.

1 Like

Well done Brendan. Definite improvement there over the 3 weeks mate. I like your steady, focused approach too, and locking into the rhyrhm. Going to be of significant benefit as you continue to move forward.

And yep, I’m with @jkahn - great to see another Aussie onboard.

All the best, and keeping postin’.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Good Job mate, keep going

1 Like

I guess it’s time to take that step and throw something online for the first time. I started from zero in Oct. 2021 and I’m currently engaged with Grade 2 Module 8 (done with the module, but running the practice routine from that). Below is my go at Pearl Jam’s Last Kiss, using the app for a backing track and occasional reference (it’s an easy chord progression, but red light syndrome was at the back of my mind, lol). I found an old GoPro 3+ in my closet and it seems to do the job ok, but the sound’s not great…one of these days I’ll figure out recording into a DAW with my THR.

13 Likes

Good stuff Scott. Vibes from me for your first AVoYP.
Steady rhythm, clean chords and a great continuous up and down strum.
My one comment. Get out of the habit of constantly watching your fretting hand, the occasional glance is fine.
Well done. I look forward to more from you.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! As for watching the fretting hand, I’m working on that! In my inaugural attempt here, I was doing a lot of staring down at the app to keep myself from jacking it up, lol (red light syndrome). :grimacing:

2 Likes

Congrats on your first AVOYP posting Scott, that was some sweet playing. Clean changes and solid strumming.

I’ve found that to help me stop looking at my fretting hand all the time was to stand up and play. In a couple of weeks I also found it felt more natural as well.

Really well done.

2 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo, Scott. Your playing was smooth and steady throughout, all good. Recording sounded OK as well, fine for now. Keep on rocking!

2 Likes

Congrats on your 1st AOVYP Scott, well done.
As others have said, solid rhythm and clean changes, so good progress all round.
Yeah RBS is a bummer but you kind of get used to it over time.
Look forward to hearing more.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Nicely played Scott and well done on your first AVOYP. I think everyone’s commented on advice etc so nothing else to add there.

I’m also a THR owner, you can run it via USB directly into your DAW, out of interest what DAW platform are you using?

Lovely guitar too (I may be a little biased there as a fellow PRS-er :rofl:)

2 Likes