Beginner's safe space

@Chordy65 re: Chocolate Jesus
Ursula, that’s a super cool performance for 6 months learning.
I’m wondering if you have previously learned other stringed instruments (ukuleles adorning the wall make me ask) as you have a feel and a touch that belies your short time on the guitar. Good solid groove and steady rhythm throughout. The picked thumb note on the first beat seemed to really help you keep time and tempo.
Bravo - what a first AVOYP that is.
Richard
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Ursula, good job. Keeping a steady rhythm while doing chord changes and being in time with a backing track They are not easy tasks and you have accomplished them well.

2 Likes

@Chordy65
Bravo and congrats on a first AVOYP, Ursula. You looked pretty comfortable and did well maintaining smooth strumming, changes and clean chords. Sounding real good. Keep on doing what you’re doing.

2 Likes

@Richard_close2u

Thanks, man! :slight_smile:

I’ll check out that thread! I’ve been thinking about that. I want to make the most of this lesson, so, I want to be prepared. On the other hand, I’m pretty early on in all of this, so, I don’t really know what to ask. In other words, I know so little that I don’t yet know what I don’t know. So, maybe that thread will give me some ideas.

Thanks!
-Todd

1 Like

If you want any input / advice I’m happy to give a little help via direct message.

2 Likes

Never thought I would post here, but just felt like celebrating this milestone out of my comfort zone. Today for the first time ever I recorded myself singing while playing. I normally only ever sing when I’m alone.

I started guitar (and Justin guitar) about 2.5 year ago and it has been such an amazing journey. Could have never imagined that I would enjoy it that much and broadened my interest and enjoyment of music in general. Currently mostly working on learning songs and beginner grade 3.

Anyway, the video: Sound of Silence - YouTube

10 Likes

That was really good Michiel. Really smooth playing, chord changes and loved the dynamics you brought to your playing , and some good vocals too. Congratulations on your first post! Its a big step putting out the first video and that hurdle is over now. Be proud of yourself!!

2 Likes

Great share @michielvv. A great AVOYP debut, and singing too!

Love that song btw.

2 Likes

A beautiful song played and sung beautifully. Well done Michael.

2 Likes

Hi Ursula. Very well done on your first AVOYP, that’s a great song and you performed it so well.

1 Like

Good work, @michielvv! I don’t have the knowledge to give you much constructive feedback on guitar; you’re far ahead of me in that regard, but, I can say it sounded good to me! As someone who recently posted my first foray into playing and singing myself, I say, bravo! :slight_smile:

It can be tough to put yourself out there, but, it can also be very rewarding. As the great, 19th century, Danish thinker, Søren Kierkegaard said, “To leap is to lose one’s footing temporarily. Not to leap is to lose oneself.” While putting yourself out there may be a bit scary, there may be even more to lose by not putting yourself out there. Good work on taking the leap!

2 Likes

Hoi Michiel,
Gefeliciteerd with your first guitar video AND singing , :partying_face: :sunglasses: :clap:… that’s really great and very good that you did it ,…
Greetings ,Rogier

2 Likes

Michiel that was terrific, lovely fingerstyle start and big kick up in energy in the switch to strumming. Congrats on taking the big step to post a video, hope to see more again soon! :clap: :clap: :+1:

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Thanks a lot :-). I’m glad you liked the decoration. They are not all mine, just the Bariton, Tenor and Concert Ukes. The bass belongs to my husband :wink:

@sairfingers
Thanks :slight_smile: - I think the beginner section was just right for me, considering that this was my very first attempt at recording myself.

@Eddie_09, @SgtColon, @DavidP, @prbushe
Thanks, I’m glad that you liked it

@SocratesDiedTrolling
Hi Todd, I really admired your posting of Three Little Birds. That was great for a beginner of only 6 weeks. :clap:t2:
I have already checked out Justin’s lesson on Singing&Playing at the same time and as long as there is no camera recording me, I sometimes make it through the song more or less :wink:

@Richard_close2u
Hi Richard, I’m glad you liked it. You are right, I started with the ukes in spring 2020 as a Covid lockdown project. And this year I thought I’d give the guitar another try. My first attempt at playing the guitar (25 years ago) failed due to not enough practice. But this time, I am determined to stick with it :smile:

Now, I’ll get back to practising :wave:t2:

3 Likes

@michielvv Well done on posting your first video. Some really nice fingerstyle there and the change to strumming added a dynamic to your performance. Just work a bit on your timing of the vocal and chord changes. Playing and singing together is not easy and you did a really good job there. :+1:

2 Likes

Hello Ursula, and congratulations to your first recording :hugs:. It sounded very good with clear chords and a nice strumming pattern and great steady strumming. You looked relaxed - you even smiled once a bit :blush:.
Very enjoyable :smiley:. Thanks for sharing :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Hello Nicole, I’m glad you liked my little performance :smile:
By the way, I liked your recordings too :clap:t2:

2 Likes

Hi Michiel. You managed to play and sing the song very well and even managed to use wisely two different rhythm accompaniments with a seamless transition between them.

2 Likes

The way you used your thumb to hit the single bass note between strums is excellent for 6 months of learning. You’ll find developing that thumb for bass notes very useful. I play a lot of leading bass lines in songs with my thumb, and if I can do it, you can too.

1 Like

@Chordy65 - Well done Ursula and fabulous first posting. really smooth and in time stumming, that Dm chord is a real struggle and you had it down pretty consistently. A fabulous debut :+1: :clap:

1 Like