Beginner's safe space

@lance
Bravo, Lance, congrats on a first recording. Glad the phone video worked and you posted it correctly.

Playing sounded good. Were you playing an unamplified electric or the amp turned way way down so as not to over-power your singing. If so maybe try turning up just a little bit, no need to rattle the windows and neighbours cages, but a bit more guitar tonje would be cool, I think.

Look forward to your next video, featuring Lance and his guitar :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. Yes I thought after I’d done it I should have had the guitar in it but I was so focussed on getting something done I didn’t think of that until I’d posted it on youtube :person_facepalming: @DavidP amp was turned down. (without sounding to Bridget Jones note to self Next recording amp turned up + guitar in view :joy:)

5 Likes

Congratulations on your first AVoYP. Great that you managed to sing and play, took me years.

2 Likes

@skinnyt I know what you mean. I have been trying to play for years & singing and playing together was a challenge at first. I’ve got the hang of that but I’ve been very inconsistent with my progress. However I am regularly practicing now so hopefully can improve :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Lance, way to get that first one out! You did it, love the Google recognition being an unexpected perk for you. I know all about the bunches of takes but that’s part of the journey bud. Persistence is your super power keep it up!….Rod

2 Likes

Hi, Aviral here, my first upload here, a (very) short recording. Would love any feedback or comments. Thank you
https://soundcloud.com/aviral-jain-13/slts

6 Likes

Hello Aviral and welcome to the Community! :slight_smile: good start for sure, although I would suggest following Justin’s lesson in order to get a feel of strumming as I think at the end of each section you missing a strum. Don’t get discouraged it’s not as easy song to play as many think especially for a beginner! Good luck and see you around :wink:

3 Likes

A good effort. To my ears, you speed up considerably in the 2nd half. I would suggest using a metronome and trying to play all of it at the same tempo.

2 Likes

Fantastic Aviral

Here you are now, entertaining us :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi Aviral,
Congratulations on your first (shared) recording :partying_face: :sunglasses:, … from now on your guitar journey has really started, very cool, enjoy it 100% and if things go wrong you can vent your frustrations in this community and continue with fresh courage :smile: ( but that is probably for later care and may never be necessary :wink:,)
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Terrific first step into the recording and sharing world Aviral. Nothing to add to other’s comments and suggestions, cracking tune and one you can develop for a long time, enjoy!

2 Likes

Thank you everyone! Amazing to hear such encouragement and helpful feedback!

Good first post Aviral, not easy to step out into the limelight, so congrats, Some good advice and feedback so far so I won’t repeat what’s been said already. Just keep at it and you’ll be fine.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Your guitar looks super cool! You did a good job with your chord changes too!

2 Likes

Congrats on making a first recording and sharing it, Aviral. And as you see it brings encouragement and feedback.

Strumming sounded smooth and relaxed, unmistakeable to me though I am not into Nirvana so don’t know the original well enough to comment on accuracy. For the picked portion, I suggest checking the note count and length from the source of your learning. Playing over a metronome to ensure consistent beat an excellent suggestion.

Recording also sounded great. The way you shared and embedded it was fine.

Looked forward to your next.

2 Likes

wow, you’re very good for just finishing grade one!
also I’m pretty sure we have the same guitar

2 Likes

Thank you, Amy, for taking the time and watching my videos :hugs:.
My guitar is a Harley Benton D-120CE - quite a cheap but nice beginner instrument. And so beautiful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

1 Like

I have been playing the guitar since I was 16. Sometime during my 20s i have lost interest and concentrated on other stuff. Around my 30s I decided to buy myself a new classic guitar and just play again.

Unfortunately i never played the guitar with a certain plan. That’s why I only played after tabs not really having a basic knowledge. I already decided to start up from 0 and learn the basics. I’d like to take the oppurtunity to ask for some feedback because I am certain that there are a few issues with my poisture or finger positioning here.

This video is a while back and I have improved a tiny bit

9 Likes

@erdem89

Welcome back to the wonderful world of guitar, Erdi. You are well on your way in playing this song, keep working at it and sure you’ll soon iron out the odd moments that are not quite to the general good standard you displayed.

Follow JustinGuitar programme, garde by grade and you’ll do well.

From a tips perspective I’d reflect on your right hand position. @adi_mrok, please post your picture (note to self, take a copy for next time :grin:). The angle of your hand is such that your index finger may get in the way of your thumb. And I think you could be plucking the bass notes with a little more energy.

Otherwise, keep up the good practice, keep up the progressing!

2 Likes

@erdem89
As @DavidP says you are well on your way to playing this song. Working your way through the grades from ground zero will iron out any issues and help build the right foundations. If you haven’t already started one a learning log is a good way to lay down a plan.

3 Likes