Beginner's safe space

Sounds great, David, keep doing your thing, rocking out.

3 Likes

Thanks David. I have been much encouraged by the comments I’ve received here.

3 Likes

We strive to be a mutually supportive and encouraging Community, David. Feedback tends to be positive so if you are wanting specifics to work on always good to ask explicitly.

1 Like

Well played Dave. That was good stuff.

I’d encourage you to follow Justin’s courses. Fair enough you’re having fun and doing what you enjoy which of course is the main thing but you don’t want to be one of those guitarists that can only play bits of solos and no actual songs. :smiley:

4 Likes

Yes fair comment. I do think I’m in a better position now though to systematically work through a course than I was when I started.

Many of the things that seemed impossible at the beginning now do seem more within reach, and hopefully this would make it easier to work through such coursework in a more disciplined way.

It isn’t something I feel is unnecessary, rather something I’ve been too lazy to get to grips with. In the meantime I hope I haven’t developed too many bad habits.

I did start with an acoustic guitar, and have built up a reasonable repetoire of songs that I can strum through, though mostly rather badly. I still practice with the acoustic but have to limit my time due to arthritis in my hands. Justin’s one minute chord changes practice, etc, helped a great deal.

4 Likes

David, congratulations on your first AVOYP posting. Always good to get that out of the way. That was a great listen. I think you are being overly hard on yourself as there was some really nice work in there. Well done.

3 Likes

Thanks very much Stefan. Probably a bit long for most people and I’ve only got a limited repertoire so it does get a bit repetitive.

Nevertheless, I’m thrilled to be able to produce anything that sounds vaguely like music.

2 Likes

Terrific job David and congrats on posting up your first video. I certainly hope it’s the first of many to come as I really enjoyed that.

3 Likes

Thanks Mark. I’m a bit wary of posting anything similar as I find it impossible at the moment to learn actual solos, so can only try a highly simplified attempt that just tries to capture something of the flavour of the original.

A poor man’s version :joy:

2 Likes

Merry Christmas everyone, started learning guitar on my 70th birthday, quit after a year… now at age 74 I’m back at it.

8 Likes

Welcome back, Ted! With a Christmas song too! Nice.

2 Likes

Hi Ted,
Welcome back to the guitar …I wish you a lot of fun and a lot of silent nights :sunglasses: :clap:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hello Ted, welcome, and so great that you give guitar playing a second chance :star_struck:. Very well played :clap: :+1:. I wish you lots of fun with your six-string-friend :smiley:.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community Ted. Keep with it this time!!! Well done with the video.

1 Like

Hello all,
Before the end of the year I had time to record myself and hopefully finish Beginner Grade 1.
I choose For What it’s worth as a AVOYP because it’s the first song I properly learned with the A-E-D chords. I was still a little nervous of playing and recording as you can see. :slight_smile:
For the second AVOYP I choose What’s up because I had a lot of fun practicing and playing it and it helped me a lot to get my C chord right.

Next step is to create a learning log to keep track of my wonderful guitar journey.

10 Likes

Bart @Bart_981
Sounding good for a Grade 1 Pass.
Well done👍
Michael

1 Like

Sounds good for a month and a half of learning, well done.

You might want to try to get your fingers closer to the fret wire in the third fret for the C and G chords.

1 Like

Thx @Tim_gsix14 , I saw it too when rewatching the recording. Will certainly be keeping an eye on it. :+1:

1 Like

What a shimmering silent noght you have given us as your introductory post @OldYoda Nice one Ted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Bart_981 Bravo and congrats, Bart, you are doing well. Smooth strumming, keeping time, clean chords and changes. Maybe a couple of moments of hesitation in the strumming when changing chords in FWIW, hiccups in What’s Up. If you notice that happening when you watch back then it is worth slowing the tempo down to the point where you can make changes and keep the strumming hand moving. Keep on keeping on!

3 Likes