Beginner's safe space

That was awesome. I am jealous. Keep it up
:+1: :+1:
@Socratesdiedtrolling

3 Likes

Donā€™t be jealous Jason, be inspired! :wink: :rofl: :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Roger!

I suppose I am pretty comfortable in front of the camera, and in front of a crowd. Iā€™ve done a lot of teaching in my life, which is a performance art of its own!

As far as the shyness while playingā€¦ I think youā€™re partially correct! I am probably a tiny bit shy, but, moreso, it was just concentration. Playing and singing at the same time takes so much concentration! I suppose thatā€™s part of how it gets easier with practice; as more of the guitar part becomes ingrained in oneā€™s brain, itā€™s easier to do it and sing at the same time.

It definitely gives me even more respect for those that sing and play, like the singer/guitarists from bands I like!

Thanks again Roger!

Best Wishes,
Todd

2 Likes

Thank you, Peter! You are too kind! :slight_smile:

I wanted to get this out there, in part because of Justinā€™s encouragement in the videos to try to perform songs for people, but also so that I can set a baseline. Hopefully, Iā€™ll continue to progress and I can then compare videos and see the changes. That really interests me! Thus far, itā€™s been a really edifying process, learning guitar. Of course, it has its ups and downs. Sometimes, I feel like things come to me really quickly, but, then you hit something that feels much harder (for me, the Dmin chord felt a lot harder than the other five Iā€™ve learned so far, but, itā€™s improving!).

Best Wishes,
Todd

1 Like

Hi Jason!

Thank you so much! And, I think youā€™re totally right. Singing, or at least sort of humming the vocal part when Iā€™m learning these different basic strumming songs really does make itā€¦ come together as a song!

As far as singing and playingā€¦ do you think itā€™s mostly about just getting more practice in on the guitar? Like, when youā€™ve really reinforced those neural pathways by repeatedly playing, to the point where you can play the song with hardly any thought, thatā€™s when you can finally sing with it easily? I guess, practically, my question isā€¦ should I just keep practicing playing the song without singing, so that then it will be easier to play it while singing? Or, do I keep trying to muddle my way through while singing and playing together?

Best Wishes,
Todd

1 Like

Thank you, James! Iā€™m really enjoying the practice! Itā€™s really edifying, in its own way.

Best Wishes,
Todd

1 Like

Hi Notter!

Thank you so much, man! A few people have commented on consistent strumming, so, I must be doing something right!

Ya know what was tough? A few times I tried doing it with a metronomeā€¦ but I kept wanting to go faster than the metronome. I found many tabs and sheet music for this song online that said the tempo should be set at 74. It felt SOOOOOOO slow! So, I finally just did it without the metronome, as I would start going faster than the metronome and then get messed up. I know that practicing with a metronome is importantā€¦ and I do like practicing with the practice tracks on the appā€¦ but a metronome at 74 on this song just felt sooo slowā€¦ but, itā€™s what was written everywhere I looked!

Thanks again!
-Todd

3 Likes

Hi Nicole!

Thank you so much! You are very kind! :slight_smile:

Regarding the songā€¦ it does feel like such a simple song, but, I have read that it can be a bit tricky, because the sentences/phrases often donā€™t line up with the bars. So, maybe it wasnā€™t the best song to start with? :rofl: But, we did it! And, frankly, I like Reggae, so, it was sort of a no-brainer for me to pick.

I have been trying to mind my thumb a bit more during practice since reading your comment. Itā€™s hard though, itā€™s like my thumb has a mind of its own.

Best Wishes,
Todd

2 Likes

Hi Stefan,

Thank you so much! Yeah, strumming, chording, counting, and singingā€¦ so much for one brain to concentrate on at once!

Best Wishes,
Todd

1 Like

Hi Adrian!

Thank you so much! And, thank you for the encouragement to keep going! Practice, practice, practice! And, so far, I genuinely love the guitar practice, so, I also hope it just keeps going on like that! :slight_smile:

Best Wishes,
Todd

2 Likes

Hi David!

I initially read through all of these comments and gave a blanket thank you, but, now Iā€™m trying to go back and look at each one more deeply. So many comments, and I appreciate them all!

Something you brought up, regarding the camera, I think youā€™re totally right. Given the small size of my recording space, it may actually be better if I just play while standing. I can probably get a better video that way where my whole guitar is visible. Iā€™ll try that next time!

Best Wishes,
Todd

2 Likes

Thank you, Eddie! You are so kind! :slight_smile: bows

1 Like

Thank you, Mark! Youā€™ll get there as well! :slight_smile:

Best Wishes!

1 Like

Thank you Jason! Thank you for reaching out, you are so kind! :slight_smile:

Best Wishes,
Todd

1 Like

Very familiar with your comments there Todd, I think everyoneā€™s natural tendency is to be too quick, itā€™s the nerves that seem to do it more than anything. If the right tempo feels slow then really you should be celebrating, youā€™ve got more time for your chord changes!
Definitely a good habit to work with a metronome, but above all playing with the song or a decent backing track is so much more satisfying, you can mentally criticise other member of the band then! :wink::joy:

2 Likes

Socrates did not die, he is alive and kicking.

What can I say that has not been said ? Well done Todd your passion and enthusiasm bowled me over. Just 6 weeks in singing and playing wow. Well done, I admire your spirit. You remind me of a lad called Trevor on the old forum who posted early doors like you but shone with unbridled passion and energy, Way to go sir, I wish you every success, a pleasure to here you perform.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thats was really good for 6 weeks, especially managing to sing at the same time.

2 Likes

Thanks for putting yourself out there. Encouraging for us beginners. You got it man. Did not notice the extra strums, if any. Youā€™re going to have so much fun playing that song as time goes by.

2 Likes

Loved it and congratulations on posting your first video. I havenā€™t worked up the courage to do it myself yet.

2 Likes

@catbird55 @BECoop @skinnyt @TheMadman_tobyjenner

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement! And, Iā€™m glad to be an encouragement to others. If I can do it, you can do it! :slight_smile:

Grace and Peace,
Todd

3 Likes