Best and Worst Audio Interfaces of 2024.. TESTED!

Likewise, more than happy with the UMC1820 and the Xenyx X1204USB. UMC works for DAW projects and the Xenyx does all I need for the OMs or when its just me and a guitar. Both relatively cheap as chips !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

ā€¦and, I suspect, any tiny amount of noise in the AI preamps is negligible compared to the noise from the guitar pickups, mics, etc.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Having justed checked on Amazon not sure Ā£250 for the UMC 1820 is cheap, although I did note you did say relatively!! Itā€™s all relative I guess. :slight_smile:

Stuart you are unlikely to need 18 inputs and comparative AIs are far more expensive. The UMC404HD that crops up in the video is around Ā£130 (Ā£135 currently on Thomann) and youā€™ll likely not need more than 4 concurrent inputs. So excellent value compare to Focusrite et al.

You may ask why I would need 18 inputs on my UMC but that equates to 18 stereo xlr/jack inputs, I hard wire my Mustang Line Outs x 2, my POD Go Line Outs x 2 leaving 2 rear inputs for my old Zoom GFX707 multi FX and 2 inputs on the front panel to DI mic and acoustic or hook up the 2 outputs from my TC Helicon PlayAcoustic, So for Ā£250 it is real value when compared with ā€œknownā€ brands.

Look at the overall package.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

So I can keep my Motu? Yay, more money for guitars and amps!
:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s certainly correct!

The Behringer UMC204 HD (noted by @Majik above is Ā£82 at Amazon which looks like a bargin.

Indeed. Go on then! :slight_smile:

Glad I asked. Not sure I know what all the items are though.

As you said itā€™s all relative. I donā€™t think that I will ever need all the things you have noted as just (at the moment anyway) happy to play for myself.

1 Like

They are great: easy to use and, in these tests, have a lower noise floor than some of the more popular and expensive brands and are one of only two in the list which have true zero-latency monitoring.

I wouldnā€™t hesitate to recommend them.

They also have 2 inputs which I would suggest is a good starting point. 18 is overkill for most people, but 2 is very useful. And it has MIDI in/out if you have any old-school MIDI kit (if not, just ignore it).

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Thanks to this, we can make better informed purchasing decisions.

1 Like

@sequences, good to hear from a new (newer, newish?) technical voice.

huh? what? you talkinā€™ to me? :slight_smile:

You kinda lost me, do you mean I commented and you havenā€™t seen me much or are you saying the video is a newer person? I hadnā€™t heard of the video owner before now.

I have been in electrical circuits and later systems development for 40+ years. I have seen the beginnings of the cellular phone industry and been a part of it since no-one knew what it was. This makes me come to a video like this with my skepticism from all that time in engineering development. Sometimes it is on the money, but sometimes I need someone to hit me with practical reality before I accept the way things are done in the guitar world.

Yes sir, take your praise and live your best life! :slight_smile:

No knock on you at all, only :+1:.