Blues Improv

Hi there,
It would be so awesome to have a few backing tracks in the Justin Guitar App…I dont want to switch to guitar pro!

thanks all for this discussion and all the links. i didnt really get this lesson until i tried some of the backing tracks you have listed. SO much better. im sure im doing it v badly but it does at least feel like im noodling. like a guitarist might. fun.

lost the link. for me later, best/easiest to noodle over is: https://justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/5-blues-licks-from-pattern-1-bl-404

coming back to this. i feel more lost. should i know licks to do this? or just makeup stuff. yes, my question is: when improvising do i just make stuff up ?

Hi Will, improvisation isn’t making stuff up on the spot, it’s playing things you know very well and using them in new ways. As you progress you will develop your vocabulary to express yourself.

2 Likes

ok, that makes sense. but i have zero vocab then at this point apart from the blues solo from this lesson. so play bits of that?

@_will take a lick from the lesson and see what you can do with it over the backing track. Mess with it , change how it’s played, change the order of the notes. Find what you like and don’t like. Add the things you like to your improv.

The link you posted in August is grade 5, the thread you have posted in is grade 2, where are you in your playing? If grade 5 go back to this grade 2 lesson and rewatch it. It will answer all your questions.

1 Like

Think of the lesson as similar to the major scale improvisation lesson a few modules earlier where you listened to how each note rings out over the chords and identifying which combination of sounds you enjoyed and the emotion they conveyed as you play them. It’s an opportunity to experiment with the phrases you learned in the blues solo lesson whilst developing your own phrases as you explore the minor pentatonic scale you learned in the previous module.

1 Like

im just starting grade 3. the link is just for the backing track there.