BobW72 - October / November 2022 - Tom Petty, Finn Brothers, Chris Stapleton, Jason Isbell

That was really well played cracking job Bob!

1 Like

Hey Bob, that was really nicely played. I’m not familiar with the song. So thank you for the very pleasant introduction to the song. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

That was great Bob. The vocals were a little hard to hear, but sounded good. Nice rhythm on the strumming. Very enjoyable.

1 Like

Thank you so much everyone for the encouragement. I really recommend anyone thinking of posting their playing to go for it. Once you do it the first time it’s much easier the next time.

3 Likes

This is another good one Bob. Nice, steady playing again, the changes were good too. Very enjoyable.

1 Like

Hello all. I have just done this one on my phone but it seems OK quality wise. This is an effort at Won’t Give In by The Finn Brothers (basically Neil Finn from Crowded House and his brother Tim) from an excellent album called Everyone Is Here.

I’ve tried to sing with a bit more power than before using the diaphragm while going with a song I am more familiar with and with easier chords. The strumming may be a bit more basic I think as I was emphasising the singing a bit more.

Hope you like it and comments welcome.

7 Likes

Hey Bob, you have good taste in music, which is half the battle :wink:
Solid job here and well done for following the mantra of learning songs

From an audiophile perspective (which I don’t subscribe to), the guitar is still overpowering the vocal. My only lo-tech suggestion is physically moving the mic closer to your mouth than the guitar, but I wouldn’t worry about that, as being able to play and sing simultaneously is the skill to practice.

I don’t know the song, but does the original speed up as it goes along? If you compare the tempo you set out at with where you end up, there’s a fair difference. It’s a common thing many learners encounter. Still sounds good.
Well done and keep 'em coming :sunglasses:

1 Like

If you’re aiming at belting out the vocals more, maybe try playing standing up? Even without a strap with right foot on a stool/chair so you can still rest the guitar on your leg, it surprised me how much stronger my normally feeble singing voice was playing that way.

Maybe also train yourself not to look at your fretting hand so that you’re not hunched over the guitar as you sing? It seems like you can play those chords quite confidently so I suspect you’re looking more out of habit than because you need to.

1 Like

Hello Bob, thanks for sharing your AVOYP. I haven’t known the song before, but I like it, as it has a nice flow. Quite a lot of different chords in it. I think you really did a great job - clear chords, steady strumming, singing and even whisteling (a thing I’m absolutely not able to do :see_no_evil:) :clap::+1::smiley:.
Your voice could have been a bit louder in the recording - just to reach a better guitar-vocals-balance.
All in all, much to enjoy :blush:.

1 Like

Thanks to all of you, some kind words there and things to think about. Good point on the standing, could get really close to the mic with that.

This was just a quick recording with the phone to see if was noticeable that I was giving the vocals a bit more volume. It was getting late and I had packed the mic and stand away. Also ‘You got lucky’ was getting old after several mic experiments.

I will take all this on board and next time the stuff is set up try more options including louder singing.

1 Like

Good work Bob. Really smooth playing and an enjoyable listen. Only comment is that your vocals need to be louder but other than that really well done. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks (again!) @Eddie_09

Another enjoyable recording, Bob. Your play is smooth and I think the singing was a little stronger.

Standing and being able to get your mouth closer to the mic should help with the balance as suggested by @rossbd

1 Like

Thanks @DavidP very much appreciated. I’m thinking of moving onto grade 3 soon. Do I seem to be at an appropriate point? Got to go over a few grade 2 things first. Just trying to get some idea as self assessing is not always easy.

Bob, from what I have seen in the recent AVOYP shares, you are doing well with playing through songs plus singing.

I suggest you review and reflect on the guidelines Justin provided in https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/rut-busting-consolidation-bg-1411 For example I don’t recall you playing a song that uses the stuck chords. If it appeals to you perhaps sharing some improv using the scales you’ve learned.

As you say, self-assessment is tricky and shared recordings is the best way to confirm your own sense.

1 Like

Thanks again @DavidP . I’m quite confident with a song that uses G (4 finger) C add 9 and Em7 so I may do a recording of that when time permits. Or see what else is around.

Also I have dabbled with improvising solos over backing tracks so will look at recording something with the 3 scales Justin mentions. Maybe just a minute or two of each.

Best Wishes to all :+1:

1 Like

That was nicely done Bob. Guitar sounding great and your vocals although a little quite sounded good also. I enjoyed the song.

1 Like

Hello everyone, hope you are all well and enjoying playing. I hope you will take some time to watch my attempt at Broken Halos by Chris Stapleton. @DavidP had suggested I post something with ‘stuck 3 and 4’ chords and within this we have 4 finger G, Cadd9 and EM7. It also has a Bm substitute in the second bridge which was clunky but a proper B of any sort is beyond me at this time.

I think I have managed to improve on the low volume vocals which have been an issue with my previous posts. I have researched my Mic a bit more (The Blue Yeti USB mic) and discovered Cardioid mode was best for vocals, plus I had it facing the wrong way and not close enough to my face. Thanks to everyone who pointed this out before. I also (as a low tech solution) went with a smaller guitar here. I believe it’s better balanced and the vocal actually seemed a bit strong on my first take so I went a bit softer here.

I hope you like it and as always welcome your comments and suggestions.

9 Likes

I’m a huge Stapleton fan, I have seen him 3 times in concert! Good job. I play that song as a duet with my wife.

1 Like

Sounding good, Bob. I think you’ve nailed the recording setup. Certainly able to move on from what I have seen and heard.

1 Like