BobW72 - October / November 2022 - Tom Petty, Finn Brothers, Chris Stapleton, Jason Isbell

Another enjoyable recording, Bob. Your play is smooth and I think the singing was a little stronger.

Standing and being able to get your mouth closer to the mic should help with the balance as suggested by @rossbd

1 Like

Thanks @DavidP very much appreciated. I’m thinking of moving onto grade 3 soon. Do I seem to be at an appropriate point? Got to go over a few grade 2 things first. Just trying to get some idea as self assessing is not always easy.

Bob, from what I have seen in the recent AVOYP shares, you are doing well with playing through songs plus singing.

I suggest you review and reflect on the guidelines Justin provided in https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/rut-busting-consolidation-bg-1411 For example I don’t recall you playing a song that uses the stuck chords. If it appeals to you perhaps sharing some improv using the scales you’ve learned.

As you say, self-assessment is tricky and shared recordings is the best way to confirm your own sense.

1 Like

Thanks again @DavidP . I’m quite confident with a song that uses G (4 finger) C add 9 and Em7 so I may do a recording of that when time permits. Or see what else is around.

Also I have dabbled with improvising solos over backing tracks so will look at recording something with the 3 scales Justin mentions. Maybe just a minute or two of each.

Best Wishes to all :+1:

1 Like

That was nicely done Bob. Guitar sounding great and your vocals although a little quite sounded good also. I enjoyed the song.

1 Like

Hello everyone, hope you are all well and enjoying playing. I hope you will take some time to watch my attempt at Broken Halos by Chris Stapleton. @DavidP had suggested I post something with ‘stuck 3 and 4’ chords and within this we have 4 finger G, Cadd9 and EM7. It also has a Bm substitute in the second bridge which was clunky but a proper B of any sort is beyond me at this time.

I think I have managed to improve on the low volume vocals which have been an issue with my previous posts. I have researched my Mic a bit more (The Blue Yeti USB mic) and discovered Cardioid mode was best for vocals, plus I had it facing the wrong way and not close enough to my face. Thanks to everyone who pointed this out before. I also (as a low tech solution) went with a smaller guitar here. I believe it’s better balanced and the vocal actually seemed a bit strong on my first take so I went a bit softer here.

I hope you like it and as always welcome your comments and suggestions.

9 Likes

I’m a huge Stapleton fan, I have seen him 3 times in concert! Good job. I play that song as a duet with my wife.

1 Like

Sounding good, Bob. I think you’ve nailed the recording setup. Certainly able to move on from what I have seen and heard.

1 Like

Oh yes! The song title brought me here. I play this too and still working on improving it, but still having a hard time staying on tempo with the Bm Chord. I love Chris Stapleton. (He very recently won the CMA Award for Vocalist of the Year). Anyway, you played and sang very nice. Nice setup you have too.

1 Like

Thanks @Traveler. I am so jealous you’ve seen him 3 times, I don’t think he’s put a foot wrong. I think he was a songwriter in Nashville before, is that right?

1 Like

It took him a long while to break through! @BobW72 i recommend checking out stuff from his early days with a band called “The Steeldrivers”.

1 Like

Thanks @DavidP good to hear I’m on track. There wasn’t much by way of instructions with the Blue Yeti so I had to watch a couple of videos on YT and researching vocal mics realised they are often Dynamic mics and are usually cardioid only. So for anyone else with a Yeti I would recommend the cardioid mode with gain about 1/3rd and be about 6" away.

May post a couple more videos for feedback before digging into Beginner 3

1 Like

Thanks @pkboo3 keep practicing it, hopefully you can post it here if you’re happy with it it. You’ll get there. I’m still trying to get the F chord right so any kind of B is too far right now.

Thanks @Traveler will do :+1:

1 Like

Hi Bob
That was a really enjoyable listen, you sure can carry a tune.

Many thanks @Will_E_Vander for your kind words. So much encouragement on here. I would say to anyone thinking of posting just go for it.

Hi Bob,

Never heard this before - sounded great.
Your vocal is definitely up front now (if that was the previous issue you mention).
Thought you had a really nice quality to your voice.

Digger

1 Like

That was great Bob. Nicely played and your vocals were spot on and really suited the song. Great job!

1 Like

Thanks @Digger72 and @Eddie_09 Very much appreciated.

1 Like

I don’t know this song, but really enjoyed it. Lovely loose feel. Great vocals with a great guitar.

1 Like