Bono Surrenders

@adi_mrok
@Stuartw
@jkahn
@sclay
It appears the path to a pleasant palate lies in lashings of butter with a bit of Bono :laughing:
I don’t do NY resolutions, but might give it a try this year :wink:

@CT Well Clint, I wasn’t really expecting to stumble across you on this thread, but am not surprised to see you trim the fat and cut to the chase of the music :smiley:
Yes, in the Rattle & Hum documentary BB King says something along the lines of “That’s some really heavy lyrics for someone as young as you”
It also made me smile when he mentions: “I don’t want to do any chords… I’m not very good at playing chords” :rofl:

@SgtColon I think I’d need a lot more butter and less Morrissey to stomach that :nauseated_face: :rofl:
What a fab clip- really enjoyed it :laughing:

2 Likes

I think my final words on this might be tied to the fact that Bono is now “the man.” Neil Young is the man, John Mellencamp, Joni Mitchell, Bruce, on and on are all the man now. These people are no longer edgy rockers or punks resisting anything but their own business interests and the mainstream, politically correct narratives. It’s a sad state for free thought which is the bedrock of what music and art should be. I don’t want to say “shut up and play”, but I’m getting pretty dang close to it.

@CT Clint, I don’t really follow closely what these musicians have to say, nor actors, or any other people who by virtue of what they do with their life have a platform from which to share their views.

I did enjoy watching clips of Ricky Gervais as an MC at (I think) Golden Globes and one could perhaps fairly intrepret him to be saying “shut up and act”.

And these days via social media and various platforms, pretty much everybody has a place to say their say and perhaps be heard. I’n not active on Twitter or any of those platforms, and am cutting back on YT. But sometimes when reading Comments on YT clips, I think many people should “shut up and get on with their own lives”, not have such a public voice.

I suppose having that platform and how it is used is one of the themes of this Topic, be it Bono specifically or in general.

As for some of those artists, and what they have to say today. As I said I know little but based on that little, my sense would be that Neil Young set out his stall years ago, has his positions, and talks to them as he sees fit today, without any care as to what people may think. Perhaps it is now more part of some main stream narrative that may or may not be politically correct rather than fresh radical resistance, but still thoughts expressed freely? And he’s still at it in his music Neil Young with Crazy Horse - Love Earth (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Freedom of speech, hate speech, cancel culture, cyber-bullying … what a world we live in. Needless to say, I am perhaps sailing close to the wind now, as more general conversation down this line could easily end up crossing the Community line.

1 Like