Brian Larsen - June 2022 - covers ... Gimme Some Truth (John Lennon) + I Won’t Be Playing Wonderwall Tonight + Third Secret (The Legendary Dots)

Capo on 2… check
4 finger G… check
Strummy with a British accent… check

Sure you weren’t kinda playing Wonderwall? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hi Brian,
I haven’t heard this song before, but I can say for sure that all the chords that you play are at the box office :wink:
and in general, it’s a good performance from you, as always.
This could be the highlight of a party with guitars by the campfire :guitar:

Very entertaining Brian, I really enjoyed that. It doesn’t need polished up, your singing and playing gave it a totally natural vibe. Your usual infectious enthusiasm shone through as always.
Working out the chords for a song can be very satisfying and must help your ear, but I’m like you, I usually look online.

Friend of a friend with the drummer from Slade…… you name dropper you!

I’ve got a similar T-shirt which I might dig out next time! :joy:

@adi_mrok Cheers Ade. Glad you enjoyed ‘the story’. It’s often better than ‘the music’ :rofl:

@batwoman Still waiting for my first sucker punch from the crazy lady down under. Generous as always, Maggie :kissing_heart:

Haha, those are the days I ‘magpie’ other folks’ creativity :rofl:
But thanks for the listen and encouraging comments. I’ll keep an eye open for your T.

Perhaps we are just ‘well-preserved’ now :wink:

Sure aren’t you my muse and inspiration? :laughing:
I’m afraid I’m blissfully ignorant of the nameless song (Smoke on the water, perhaps??) :thinking:

@jkahn
OK, Mr. J(o)K(er)-
I tried a 4-finger G once at the very beginning and thought: “Why would anyone ever make things more complicated than necessary?” I’m strictly a 3-finger-dude :wink:
And British? Did you say British?
Oh, my days… Will someone please alert the mods before I start effin’ an’ blindin’ in guttural Dublinese and exceed my Community points limit? :rofl:
I guess it is a bit WW-ish though… :wink:

@crocodile1 Leo, my friend. Not many have heard this song before :laughing:
I’m afraid if anyone ever handed me a guitar around a campfire I would be perplexed, as it appears I have only room for one song in my head at any given time-
and that is only for a brief window until I start my next one. :roll_eyes:
Sigh…

4 Likes

Nice. I hadn’t heard that song before. Great version!

Very entertaining Brian. I’ve not really listened to much parody songs since the days of the amatuer transplants. As usual you brought the song to life with a performance that would capture the audience.

Or maybe a closet Oasis fan :wink:

I think you’d be in your element. I’m sure you could knock a few songs out of your repetiore if asked.

Did I call an Irish guy British? Oh god, that’s just as much of an offense as mistaking a Canadian for an American! You’ll have to excuse my uneducated antipodean ways, it’s hard to tell the difference when singing! :rofl:

Could have sworn I read something about British sea breeze and your Vespa :thinking:

Oh the song was pretty good btw, and tbh, as much as I liked Wonderwall when it came out and know how to play it, I just can’t bring myself to make it campfire worthy because of how much of a cliche it is now, sadly.

1 Like

Haha, no worries mate. I’m just huffin’ and puffin :wink:
You’re quite right- Like many of my countrymen, we made the journey across the Irish Sea and ended up in the nearest big city to ‘home’ :laughing: We’re just outside Liverpool (although some would argue that’s not really part of the UK either :laughing:). In some ways I have a greater affinity to the people of this country than where I was born. I only lived in Dublin for 15 years, but have been in England for the last 22, with no intention of ever leaving.
Respecting community etiquette, I shall refrain from sharing some strongly-held views on certain Brithsh institutions/events, but I do despair at times :roll_eyes:
If WW speaks to you, you should share it with others.
Life’s too short to worry what the musical snob-police might think :smiley:

Edit: the Danish half of me thought it was quite funny :wink:

1 Like

No wonder I’m confused :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

It’s only now that I’ve seen your post. Enjoyed it, nice start into the day. I like your authenticity and self confidence. Good, catchy voice on top. Hope to hear and see more of that. I don’t care about WW or not, tecnically perfect or not, that’s how music should be… making the audience happy :sunglasses:

1 Like

@brianlarsen
Hi Brian. Did you watch Glastonbury last night? I was never a great Oasis fan but Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds did Wonderwall and a few other Oasis songs as part of their set. Really good. I think they’re better than Oasis ever was.

1 Like

Yeah I heard Liam say the same ! :rofl:

2 Likes

Vielen Dank, Andrea :smiley:
We don’t have to be good to be ‘authentic’. Almost all of us who post here are.
Sometimes nervousness or concentration can mask that.
A good thick skin can hide a multitude of shortcomings :laughing:

@sairfingers I only caught bits of a few acts. I enjoyed watching three generations playing in Crowded House and I caught some of Macca’s set on replay last night. I was really impressed with his backing band, drummer in particular. I get too many social media suggestions for Gallagher brother feuds to bother watching either of them :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

So is this a new song? You said you couldn’t find it on UG and I didn’t find the lyrics. Anyway, you did really well. The PC webcam - no problem. It makes it easy and quick to upload; and still a fun listen.

Nice one, as always :sunglasses: I’m with crocodile, this song would be a really cool “surprise” in a (campfire) setlist :grin:

Warning: mildly offensive language and irreverence towards the Christian church

Well, this was unexpected :astonished:
I shared the original of this yesterday on the what are you listening to thread and @DavidP mentioned he could see me covering it with my Hagström and Trio.
I laughed because I was just messing about with a bit of lead on my re-discovered Peavey Vypyr amp that I bought a couple of years ago, but never understood nor used.
I thought why not, downloaded the chords and lyrics, and set off.
I’m aware I often play ‘predictably’ and slum around my comfort zone, so decided to push the boat out on this one.
Most of the guitar is picking rather than strumming and I used one of the higher gain amp presets. I tried to use it more to colour /accentuate the backing track, rather than just strum along the way I usually do.
I even included a solo of sorts, which is terra incognita for me :scream:
My eyesight is getting worse, so I’m unable to sit farther back and still see the screen (for the lyrics that I haven’t learnt yet). That’s why you can’t see the guitar :roll_eyes: :sunglasses:
I was recording on my webcam just to see what the whole mish-mash would sound like, but as it went smoother than expected, so I reckoned I’d share :laughing:

10 Likes

Saw the post and the comments but did not listen to the tracks, which was unknown to me. So a pleasant surprise to trip over this delightful ditty. No critiqie offered as I just sat back and enjoyed the moozic with a post tea coffee. Nice share Mr L.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Ye’r bonkers, monsieur :rofl:

Yes but you know what I mean. :plate_with_cutlery: :coffee: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Nice one Brian, giving Daphne an outing again, much better for the higher gain territory!
Didn’t listen to the words really, I prefer to read them these days - my bionics ain’t much cop anymore so I can’t be ar53d with them anymore :joy:, maybe that explains my current ventures into the music I’m listening to!(almighty racket, her indoors calls it) :joy::joy::joy: