Brian Larsen - September 2022 - McArthur's Park + Karma Police

Very nice cut back version Brian, entertaining as usual. Now I understand what prompted the where to strum question. And that softer tone worked well with this, Sure you could have twiddled knobs on guitar and amp but if you are happy with the outcome using this method, why change ? If it sounds good…

Look forward to the OM after your opening statement. Should I be changing the running order or will I be safe to follow you ! :rofl:

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Super! tbh, I prefer your stripped back version to the over-the-top job that we hear on the radio. Great job on the vocals too, that sounds like it would be tricky to sing.

1 Like

First off, high praise for another enjoyable live performance. Well done. Nice tone from that HB guit. Dig it!

1 Like

@Mari63 Thanks Mari, I was listening to your riff uploads and loved them loads, but never got round to saying. Cool :sunglasses:

@NicoleKKB Thank you so much :smiley:
I simplified the chords a fair bit, but it still took a while to get it flowing well enough to allow myself to concentrate properly on the phrasing (timing) of the singing. Like all things guitar-related, time & practice…

@DavidP

My secret fear is that I will run out of ‘different’ :laughing:
Much appreciated, and glad to see you recovering, as evident it the growing length of your posts. I reckon you’re in the sweet spot now :rofl:
Looking forward to the OM too, although find myself easily distracted when faced with a deadline…

@SILVIA Thank you :smiley:
Yes, I never really got comfortable using a pick. I think it started because I was trying to keep my playing quiet in the beginning. I think I use 3 fingers, but mainly my index and middle.
One day the pick will be my friend :smiley:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Cheers mate :smiley:
Yes, but all academia put on hold for the moment.
Back to @Richard_close2u’s mantra for me…
Relax re OM, I’m getting mellow in my old age. I’ll be playing a bit of depression without any gimmickry :wink:

@twistor59 Cheers, Phil :smiley:
This kind of lo-fi stripped back performance lies at the opposite end of the spectrum to your technical instrumental wizardry, which I love. Hard to think it’s the same instrument/course, eh :rofl:

Ah, @CT, thanks for the listen and shout.
I’m thinking we’re due another taste of some home-grown/home-brew from sunny CA? :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Great :exclamation: Bravo :exclamation:

In a recent thread @Helen0609 mentioned me being mean/sarcastic to @roger_holland .
I thought I had apologised, pointing out that Karma would come and bite my backside, but I can’t seem to fine it.
Funny thing, Karma… :laughing:

:roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Remember one thing my friend,…there are two deadly things you can’t take back 1: bullets fired 2: and words… :smirk:
But I WON`T complain…today :blush: . :joy:… …so karma is in your favor today :sweat_smile:

Nice song… :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet: sometimes a bit difficult to hear, but this will undoubtedly be on my speakers again, this next to my left ear is screeching …that’s why it’s always nice when people post the text …
Greetings,… :sunflower:

1 Like

Ha ha, that was meant in an ironic way :joy:. Now there is another item on my agenda for the day, have to listen to your video later…

1 Like

“Die Jungen werfen zum Spaß mit Steinen nach Fröschen. Die Frösche sterben im Ernst”

1 Like

You’re welcome :laughing:
Only one or two word changes so no txt necessary
Just a fun diversion :wink:

1 Like

Aaa,From radiohead :upside_down_face:…had to look it up… :grin:

1 Like

That’s hard! Now I’m really touched :cry:

1 Like

Hi Andrea, … then only for the real frogs and other critters, right?
Then you score good Karma points… :sunglasses:
Greetings,… :sunflower:

Hi Andrea. @Helen0609 …I’ll just type it here otherwise it will be such a long thread by me…but I meant that you should not feel sad for the proverbial frogs…but for the real ones that have been killed by humans by not good to think about it…sorry for my unclear story :joy:

2 Likes

Hi, hi :sweat_smile: I’m a good girl, I would never do things like that :wink:

2 Likes

Guess i missed something Lol! Nice song brian! Is that a strat? Lovely guitar!

1 Like

I shall stay out of the chit-chat about being mean/sarcastic, or perhaps just dark side of the room leg-pulling, and karma. Suffice to say, I didn’t recognised the song and enjoyed your rendition, Brian.

Now I am wondering … is your guitar collection up to 4 now plus an amp, foot controllers, and Trio? Guess it is safe to say you are now in it for the long haul, and I’m ever so glad of that.

1 Like

Haha, moving on from yada yada chit chat with the original tags, I am slightly shocked that neither Roger nor @DavidP recognised this song :astonished:
It was one of the singles release from what was described by many as ‘one of the greatest albums of all time’, OK Computer by Radiohead (admittedly a quarter of a century ago).
Perhaps that says more about my performance than the song itself? :laughing:
Actually this is a good example of a song without any traditional rhyming structure and the words often don’t fall on the chord changes either. Genius.

@Bytron08 Cheers man, I bought it early this year and I love it. Strat style (I think) HSS, my go-to these days. Thinking about getting it some tattoos at the next string change :laughing:

It’s worse than that David- The Hagström, Harley Benton, Ibanez Gio, Fender acoustic (dumpster), Yamaha classical (‘signature’) and ukulele, 2 amps, footswitch & Trio+. And if I ever get bored I can have a go at one my son’s 2 bass, keyboard or drum kit…
I’m going nowhere fast and willl be with you for a while… :rofl:

Here’s the original which is well worth a spin

1 Like

Sorry Brian,

I do know this song :grin:

Even though it’s not in my playlist (which I never listen to anymore, I type in something specific and fill my playlists with potential guitar play music when practising,and to late for the stop button and think ‘nice one’ …or even morerrrr(?) stuff that you let me listen to :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil:), but in the time I still listened to music radio (until about 4 years ago) this absolutely passed…I recognize it now…

1 Like

Well played and sung Brian. I haven’t heard that song in a very long time. I’m surprised too that @roger_holland never recognised that song. Maybe he would be more accustomed to some Kula Shaker.

1 Like

High marks for pushing the limits of these chord changes and for the raw immediacy of the recording. When we do this we can move on to new learning instead of polishing things in a DAW. Well done!

1 Like