Brrrr It’s Cold Out!

Okay yesterday’s post was for a bit of a laugh but now it’s getting serious!!!

Wow, yeah. And “feels like -46”! Batten down the hatches!

Every so often here in Fraser Colorado (where I ski), we hit temps like that. Usually only in the wee hours of the morning. It warms up better here, especially when the sun is out.

Fraser is considered one of the US “ice boxes” like International Falls , Minnesota.
Not sure they are really the coldest as Thunder Bay tells us. Just well advertised.

I walked the dog at -5 F a few minutes ago. Saw a moose!

2 Likes

Hey at least the sun is shinning ! :rofl:

1 Like

Mari, I know it doesn’t help much but it could be worse :wink:

1 Like

Oh that’s a gorgeous photo, I love seeing moose (although they’re so big they’re scary!). We don’t see much moose where I live, for the 12 years we lived in the country we probably saw 10 moose, when we would often enough see 10 deer in a day!

1 Like

Toby you laugh but that is actually true, I love beautiful sunny winter days as long as I can stay inside when it’s this cold!!

1 Like

We were in Fairbanks, Alaska for US Thanksgiving in 1994. It went down to -45F. A fun fact, -40 is the same in Fahrenheit and Celsius. That is where we learned about ice fog. It was a very cool (no pun intended) experience.

OMG! I had checked earlier today and the lowest temp ever recorded in Thunder Bay was -43.2C, and I remember that day (1996), cuz it was -50 with the wind chill. Not counting wind chill we don’t even make it into today’s top 15 lol. I am surprised that there’s not a few more northern Canadian sites in the list for today though.

btw that’s an interesting weather chart - I found the page and bookmarked it for future reference.

2 Likes

Another really interesting (I was going to say cool but …) web site is Ventusky - Wind, Rain and Temperature Maps

Glen

1 Like

Good looking Moose Jamolay.
Mari, The guitar build project looks like a fun winter project.
What did you use for a pattern ?
Might like to try one for fun.
Have quite a lot of woodworking under my belt but
nothing quite as intricate as that.

1 Like

Dean, I got a diy guitar kit from Solo Guitars NGD: Solo DIY kit - #36 by Mari63 After I bought it my friend whose woodworking shop I’m using said he could have made one, and Solo does sell routing templates too, but I like the kit idea as the electronics would be too far beyond me. I am going to practice my painting skills on the plywood cutout he made first though before I paint the guitar.

Thanks for the link, guess I missed the whole build project thread.
Looks great Mari !

1 Like

While the promised -30 C are apparently cancelled, it’s still seriously cold here = -21C (which is apparently -5,8 F). :cold_face:

I’m sure some of you are located at places where it’s even colder right now?

Ah… Yes, and any ideas for songs to stay warm? :fire:

Wow haha was 30c here the other day, without the minus

Wow :slight_smile: I’ll happily send some cold air from Finland to New Zealand if there is a need… :cold_face:

1 Like

We just completed the warmest December on record for my part of Minnesota. For those unfamiliar with Minnesota, it’s normally one of the colder states in the winter.

More normal weather now, with a stronger cold wave coming next week.

1 Like

Its OK I can survive with just an icepop and shorts…

2 Likes

Meanwhile I should probably start searching my thermo-underwear… :slight_smile:

I suppose frostbitten hands means less painful fingers when I now finally get my guitar routine going again? :grinning:

Damn that’s getting dangerous; so take care!

Curious about that DIY guitar though, perhaps a dedicated topic about that if you fancy keping a bit of a dev journal? :smiley:

This is a somewhat old topic Lieven…that guitar has been Mari’s avatar for a long time :blush:
And for a look back at the construction

Sorry for the interference Mari :blush: :smile:

Greetings