Bryan, senior student from Denton Texas

Howdy folks. I “dabbled” in acoustic guitar on-and-off since purchasing my Guild D40 dreadnought way back in 1976. I never made any real progress beyond learning a few “cowboy” chords. About nine months ago I decided to get serious and see if my 65-year old brain and fingers could really learn how to play. I started using Justin guitar to put structure into my journey. The program has helped me so much! I’ll soon be moving into Beginner Grade 3. I’m also working through Justin’s Music Theory and Ear Training courses. I’m proof that old dogs can learn new tricks. Best regards to all!

10 Likes

Welcome to the community Bryan

Welcome Bryan. A lot of more senior players have joined the Community recently and I’ve directed them here. Have a look too.
Older guitar students / Can ‘old dogs’ learn new tricks?

Welcome, Bryan. You’re in the right place. There are a lot of older players here, actually, including those who are just starting or are returning to guitar after a long time. I don’t think 65 sounds terribly old, in any case. (I’ll be 51 in a few days.) Good to see you here, and nice to see yet another Texan joining the community.

You’ll be starting up a Texas Ranger sub-group at this rate Jason.

2 Likes

Great stuff. I started playing at the age of 53, 10 years ago and now it’s a lifestyle

I started at 53 two years ago. Now my wife is jealous with my guitar :joy:

1 Like

Hey Bryan, welcome :grinning:

Old dogs can definitely learn new tricks. I think you’ll surprise yourself. Justin’s theory course will help keep your brain sharp as a tack too. Post us some recordings along the way won’t you.

Hi Bryan! Nice to see you join…grade 3, good progress! You’ll no doubt have some good insight to share! I’ve just finished grade 1…it’s such a satisfying adventure, isn’t it? :blush:

Sit back and enjoy, this is a great place to be!

Welcome to the forum!

I wonder why it is there seem to be a lot of “older” students who gravitate to Justin Guitar?

Maybe we have the maturity to settle into a course and the self discipline to stick with it?

Hello Bryan and welcome to this great community. :slight_smile:

Maybe the humility acquired from earlier failed attempts to learn? Maybe us “oldsters” just make more noise in the community. I would really love to see the demographics.

Catching up on Intros I have missed and just wanted to say hello and welcome. :sunglasses:

That’s a very nice guitar you have, hope you’ll make good use of it :wink:

Welcome, Bryan, keep at it and look forward to hearing you play.

Hi Bryan

We have a lot in common, I’m 67 and just started level one. I also live in Bryan, Texas

It appears you are progressing pretty good!

Hey Nick, My mother-in-law lives in college station and I visit with my wife fairly often, perhaps we could meet up sometime when I’m there. Thanks for reaching out! Bryan Hill

Hello Bryan, great to have you join the community. :slight_smile: