šŸŽø BurnsRhythmā€™s Burning Ambitions

Hi David, good progress. Sometimes having limited practice time just pushes to get the most of the available time. Of course it requires a little of smart planning like you did.

@dobleA
Thanks AndrĆ©s. Yeah, being short of time can focus the mind more. Although it can be the other way too, if my mind is still thinking about work, I donā€™t focus on guitar properly.
I suppose you could call it smart planning when I plan it to suit circumstances. I seem to be always changing plans. Itā€™ll settle down soon.

šŸŽø David

Not an update - something Iā€™ve been playing around with tonight when practicing.

Four years ago I broke a bone in my hand (left, fretting hand), the bone which connects the index finger to the wrist. It was a clean break and the doctor said that as the bone healed and knitted back together it would pull the knuckle back towards the wrist. It has, but it hasnā€™t affected anything I do so Iā€™ve never thought too much about it.
Until now!
With practice going well and the F chord looming in the next module, I couldnā€™t help but have a go at it, but I donā€™t like the angle of my wrist when I played the chord. Wrist angle is something Iā€™ve been mindful of over the last six months but Iā€™ve always found a way to play without it being excessive. Itā€™s only now that I realise my problem is linked to the injury. When I compare my hands, putting them palm to palm, my index finger appears to be 5-6mm shorter than the other hand. The finger itself isnā€™t shorter but, with the knuckle being pulled back, it bends from a different place making it harder to reach across the fretboard with that finger. So I started playing around with how I hold the guitar and I came up with thisā€¦.

Instead of having the cut-out over my leg I have the front edge on my leg and the back edge of the guitar sits on the bench. This sits the neck up at an angle and I hold the neck away from my body by about 45 degrees with my right forearm. In this position I can play all chords including Fbarre with less wrist angle and my hand, wrist and arm feel much more comfortable.

Itā€™s quite an unorthodox position with the guitar being further back and more round to the side, but is it ok to play like this or is it just plain wrong?

I would appreciate any feedback before I continue with it.

šŸŽø David

Iā€™m a newbie guitarist but I would say if it works for you then what is the harm? Jimmy Hendrix learned how to play the guitar a little with his teeth. Was it necessary? No. But he figured out something he could do merely to impress his fans! So I say move it anyway you like. :smiley: :+1:
hendrix

Hi David
Have you tried playing barre chords using the thumb over the top method rather than the first finger barre? That grip totally changes the angle of the wrist. Iā€™ve been experimenting with it recently. Iā€™ve not mastered it yet as youā€™re pretty much relearning barre chords but itā€™s something I think Iā€™ll persevere with.

1 Like

@suzieq Hi Suzanne, as you say, if it works then what is the harm. Iā€™m thinking along those lines and it does seem to work better.
Youā€™ve probably already noticed, but Iā€™m not at the Jimmy Hendrix levelā€¦ā€¦yet!ā€¦think Iā€™ll give playing it with my teeth a miss! :grin:

@sairfingers Interesting, Gordon. I donā€™t play thumb over the top but I do play with the thumb high on the neck to prevent too much wrist angle. Iā€™ve had minor problems with my left wrist in the past (not guitar related) so I want to protect it.
Given my job, I donā€™t have a problem with hand strength so a high thumb or thumb over the top could be ok for me. And if I can fret the 6th string with my thumb then I donā€™t have as far to reach with the index finger.

Iā€™ll continue to practice in module8 and experiment with the new position and thumb muting to prepare for barre chords.

Thank you both for your ideas.
šŸŽø David

1 Like

Hi David,

For the barre chords you could try playing standing up that way you can angle the guitar more and reduce the angle of the wrist.

Worth checking out this lesson covering playing with the thumb over the neck as suggested by @sairfingers.

@Socio

Hi James
Yeah, standing is another option that I havenā€™t tried yet. I see Justin has a lesson on it at the end of the grade. I do like to take the weight off the old pins at guitar time of day though!

Thanks for the link to the thumb over lesson. I havenā€™t seen that before. Quite surprised how the same chord looked so different played with the thumb. And the wrist angle is very different. I like it.

Cheers
šŸŽø David

2 Likes

August 2022 Learning Log

These are the songs Iā€™ve been learning in module8 along with the stuck 3&4 chords and the E minor pentatonic scale.

• Wish You Were Here - riff
  • Every Rose Has Itā€™s Thorn
  • Wonderwall

I can play the songs with the 16th strum patterns but they need more practice to really nail them down. With simpler 8th strumming theyā€™re not bad. The riff is quite good and I like playing it.

And so Iā€™m ready to move on.
Module8 has taken quite some time because of work but once I realised it could take a few months I felt quite relaxed about it. Whatā€™s the hurry anyway!
Thereā€™s been many a day when I havenā€™t practiced but Iā€™ve slowly worked away at it and got there in the end. I wanted to keep guitar ticking over through the busy summer months, so Iā€™ve achieved that goal. It would have been easy to put the guitar down altogether through this time but who knows when or if I would have picked it up again.
Iā€™ve enjoyed it and because Iā€™ve had to spread it out, it seems to have given me time to think about things and I feel Iā€™ve learned much more than just new chords and new songs. Not sure exactly what but definitely something. Iā€™ll leave it at that.

Following the suggestions (above this update) about playing with the thumb over the top, Iā€™ve been experimenting with the thumb on top of the neck muting the 6th string where appropriate in preparation for the upcoming barre chords. Iā€™m also experimenting with guitar position and Iā€™ve tried playing standing and it feels more natural and my left hand and arm have more freedom to move and arenā€™t as tense. The only problem is I canā€™t see what Iā€™m doing! Which all probably means my sitting posture is poor, hunching over the guitar. So in the last week or so Iā€™ve jumped ahead and been looking at 3 lessons.
Feeling the frets
Playing without looking
Stand up
I feel that the playing without looking lesson is going to be a game changer. I always look at my fretting hand. I struggled with the lesson at first but itā€™s improving now.
Whatā€™s the guitar Justin is playing in the lesson? Nice.

Iā€™ll spend a bit more time with these lessons plus some F chord practice to try to determine which barre chord method to go with - thumb over or regular - then continue with module9 lessons and songs.

šŸŽø David

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Good to read that youā€™ve kept plucking away during those busy summer months.

Try playing standing in front of a mirror :wink:

@Socio

Thanks James.

The bloke in the mirror plays it the wrong way round but heā€™s doing okay. The bloke this side of the mirror is learning to feel his way around the guitar.
Fascinating what Justin says about building a mental map of the fretboard. Itā€™s difficult to say if thatā€™s happening yet as Iā€™m only using the first three frets but Iā€™m starting to get a ā€˜picture ā€˜ of sound, vision and feel all rolled into one.

2 Likes

I can pretty much play without looking until it comes to barre chords up the neck. F, F#,G are ok but after that I have to look to make sure Iā€™m in the right place. Triads up the neck, same problem!
Good luck. :smiley:

@sairfingers

When it comes to barre chords is it not a case of you donā€™t look at your fretting hand, you look at where you want it to go?

Yes, but once you place the chord youā€™re looking at your fretting hand. Same thing! :smiley:

@sairfingers @Socio

I can imagine, Gordon. Youā€™re much further along the road than me so youā€™ll be moving around the neck more.
From Justinā€™s lesson heā€™s not saying never look. Itā€™s okay to glance now and then and, as James is saying, donā€™t follow your hand along the neck but look at the fret youā€™re moving to. I would think once youā€™re there you donā€™t need to keep looking at it.
But what do I know! With you two, this is a bit like teaching grandma to suck eggs! šŸ˜ø

Finding a Way September 2022

Grade 2 Module 9

Itā€™s been a good guitar month. The contracting work was all finished by the end of August and Iā€™ve been able to get back to more regular practice.
Following on from the end of last monthā€™s experimenting, Iā€™ve continued practicing ā€˜playing without lookingā€™. Iā€™m keen to develop a mental map of the fretboard. Itā€™s very early stages but itā€™s part of my routine.

F chord
Iā€™ve decided to learn F barre the normal way. I can play it thumb-over but my thumb is a tad too short. I can fret the 6th string note but it pulls my palm under the neck making my fingers too flat and risking muting strings.
Playing it the normal way with first finger barre also has its problems because of the changed anatomy of my first finger but I have to live with it and I can play it cleanly so itā€™s a case of slow deliberate practice to keep it right.
Iā€™m not using it in songs yet and I havenā€™t pushed for speed with changes. F - C is only in the 20ā€™s
I play the alternatives in songs and those are fine.

Californication riff
Iā€™m not a fan of this song but itā€™s a good practice riff. Am to F. The Am part is easy but the F part is trickier having to avoid muting the third string. Getting there but it needs more practice.

Songs

• Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
  • House of the Rising Sun - The Animals

Iā€™ve always loved hearing Stevie Nicks singing Dreams so itā€™s good to be able to learn it.
F and G all the way and a bar of Am in the chorus but the F variations and a switch to G7 make the progression more interesting.
Slowly building the tempo up.

House of the Rising Sun is my first 6:8 song. Itā€™s all known chords so itā€™s been about getting the rhythm.
Itā€™s a good song for working on strumming because it improves control. I started with all downs then strumming pairs of strings, working across the strings and back again to make it sound like the song. Sounds good! Next up will be flat picking of single notes.
Leaving the finger style till the lesson comes up.

Module 9
Itā€™s about the C Major scale and the key of C. Iā€™ve known the C Major scale since I was knee high to a mushroom, playing Recorder a lifetime ago and learned the open scale position when I first started guitar years ago so Iā€™ve jumped to the improvisation lesson in the next module and playing around with that.
I already knew about the chords in C Major and how they are built but the module is helping me put it all together on guitar in a way that Iā€™ll be able to use going forward.

Rhythm Maestro
Iā€™ve recently started the rhythm maestro module working with the patterns in the first lesson. The patterns are easy enough to tap along to and Iā€™m working slowly through them on guitar before looking at the next rhythm lesson.

Itā€™s all going well but Iā€™ll probably need most of next month to practice the songs.

šŸŽø David

2 Likes

Sounds like you are making good progress, David, keep at it!

1 Like

Hey David, itā€™s good to read that youā€™ve now got some more time to enjoy the guitar and making good progress.

I particularly liked this statement. We all have different tastes in music. Iā€™ve seen a few posts where people say do I really need to learn thisā€¦ itā€™s not my cup of teaā€¦ good on you for sticking with it as you can learn a lot from the techniques being used.

1 Like

Fantastic David, well done in your progress and study.
Iā€™ll echo Jamesā€™ comment on persisting with the Californication riff even if itā€™s not your cup of tea.
I found the same when I got to the C major scale and the improvisation, fantastic y feeling to piece it all together.
Good luck as the journey goes on! :+1:

1 Like

@DavidP
Thanks David
Good to see you getting out and about around the community again, youā€™re recovery must be going well.

Yeah, Iā€™m happy with progress.
I donā€™t know why this is - when I was going through Grade1, half an hourā€™s practice and Iā€™d had enough. Through summer, whenever I picked the guitar up, half an hour was enough. But now I can easily do an hour - and more if tea wasnā€™t burnt to a cinder!

2 Likes