Caged chord relationships

Have been noodling around with chord shapes recently and discovered something that has never occurred to me before.
Probably well established in theory but I’ve only just seen how some of the caged shapes are related.
Eg: take an open C chord and move the top 2 fingers along 5 frets and up 1 strings and the C note on the b string along 4 frets and up 1string and you have a C chord using G shape.
It’s essentially the same fingering just moved along and up.
The same appears to be true for the A shape barre chord when moved along 5 frets (4 when accounting for crossing the G string) and up one string.
So when looking at CAGED you take a letter and miss a letter to get the corresponding chord 5 frets along and up 1.
I’m not sure if it works with all the shapes.
Not even sure of the significance, although picking out triads seems a bit clearer.
Its just amazing what you find while looking at the fret board.
As you can see I have far too much time on my hands! :joy:

1 Like

The CAGED system move in the order it is spelt.
Start with the open C then bar where the C note is on the A string and play a A chord. This is an A shaped C barre chord. Now bar all the stings where the A shape is and play the G chord this is the G shaped C chord. Now bar where the root note is and play an E shaped barre chord. Now bar where the note E is on the D string is and thats a D shape C chord.

Try this starting with an E shape barre G at the third fret then spell it EDCAG. This will move the G chord up the neck.

1 Like

This will explain it better

2 Likes

Rick I do understand the CAGED system but was just intrigued how if you move along 5 frets and up one string you essentially get the same chord shape as the next letter but one.
Eg: C shape Is the same finger position as G shape when moved along 5 and up 1.

Check this lesson out:

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

That’s a great lesson :+1:

1 Like