Californication Playthrough - Barre Practice

Also posted in my learning log.

This is the second of my mini-update / catch-up as a progression log of my barre chords, a run through of Californication with the app backing track (still not loud enough on the backing though I’m afraid :rofl:). I remember the first time I ever played through this when practicing mini-F and almost despaired, then I got to the bridge section and thought I’m never going to do this!! But yet again practice seems to work, funny that!! :wink:

5 Likes

Great going, Mark. Practice is paying off for sure.

1 Like

Thanks John :slight_smile:

Mark, I don’t have time at work to give this a watch, which I will do later.

As a rule we like to post things once in one category. My suggestion would be to just provide the embedded recording here in AVOYP. You can also paste a link to the Topic in AVOYP in your Learning Log if you have additional notes you’d like to record in your Learning Log. Some people have chosen to maintain a list of links to all their recordings on either SoundCloud or YouTube in their Learning Logs, a process of copy, paste, and add in each update.

Hi David - Understood and appreciate the guidance, I’ll be sure to follow that approach in future. Thanks.

1 Like

Great progress Mark. This song is a good grower, start playing the chords, then arpeggios and later the solo. Accessible and plenty to grow with.

1 Like

Thanks JK, yes the solo is my next development item for this song now I’ve got a solid foundation. Not done much work on solo-ing outside of the specific module on it but that feels like a long time ago now!!

Sounded good Mark. Clean chords , steady strumming and you’ve got a good tone going too. Well done.
My only comment is watch your posture. You’re hunched over the guitar watching your fingers. You’ll end up with a sore neck/back.

Thanks Gordon. My sitting posture is far and away the biggest thing I need to sort out, many others have pointed it out as well. I’m trying to work on it but not enough yet! I’ve been going through songs that I know I know (if that makes sense) and therefore purely foucssing on sitting straighter and by consequence also not looking at my fretting hand. I slip back into hunching more when I’m looking at what I’m doing.

Appreciate your feedback, thank you.

1 Like

Listen to the wise man Mark.

Ahem … a note from the Posture Police … we’ll be back to check on you fella :policewoman: :grin:

1 Like

Sounds good, Mark, smooth, clean, and liked the tone. Well done, keep up the good work.

1 Like

:joy: wel the last thing I need is the posture police after me, yes ma’am….
Hope you’re doing well Maggie :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That is coming along nicely Mark.

It’s odd how we think when we first start to learn a new song, even though we’ve done it before we still doubt ourselves.

1 Like

Thank you Stefan, couldn’t agree more with you. Still much more to learn with this song but it’s a really fun one to get to grips with. I’ve started to have a little play with the solo which is (dare I say it) not too bad to pick up I think with a bit of focus.

1 Like

Very good Mark and nice progress… I’ll say no more on posture…the Posture Police are already on to you…that said it’s inevitable as a beginner you’ll look at the fret board.

1 Like

:rofl: Thank you Jason