Californication Riff

Just made my way through Module 9 lessons and now starting the practice. This all is definitely a level up from what I’ve encountered so far. I plan on spending probably at least a few weeks on practice for this module. Man I do love me some RHCP - the fact that I’m even attempting to play something from Frusciante is quite frankly amazing to me! Have to say the way these JG lessons are laid out and the practice schedules for each module and the way everything comes together while learning riffs and songs is really incredible. Stoked and loving it! :sunglasses:

First, I’d like to say thank you to Justin and his team for producing these lessons! You’re the best!

Now, regarding this 2 fret stretch for fingers 1 & 3 that is such a struggle for beginners like me- what is the most efficient way to stretch my fingers? Should I continually practice songs requiring this ability or should I do stretching exercises? For those who have acquired this skill, how did you do it? Also, how long does it take to finally get fingers that can do the seemingly impossible like Justin’s?

Thanks!

Al
PS- Sorry if this turns out to be a duplicate post. I haven’t cracked the code yet.

1 Like

Al, I would suggest that you do what I did and add 5 minutes of the Beginner Finger Stretches exercises from Grade 1 Module 4 to the practice routine. Continue to play songs with C chords to have fun while you stretch. There is also a lot of good stretching suggestions in the Module 4 Beginner Finger Stretches discussion. You could also try putting a capo at the 4th or 5th fret and play the riff. It should be easier and then you can slide the capo down 1 fret at a time as you feel comfortable.

1 Like

Thanks, Steve. I’m now incorporating the finger exercises s a part of my normal routine. It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one struggling and that (in time) I’ll be able to reach farther.

1 Like