Chazzo78 - May 2023 - 1st recordings - Thinking About You (Beck) + Reckless Serenade (Arctic Monkeys)

Took a break from decorating today and thought I just might as well break my duck and try a vid :grimacing: this was a one take deal, nerves kicked in when hitting record lol. I’m pleased with my progress but feel I should be further along the road after almost 3 full years learning through JustinGuitar :man_shrugging:

I’m not a confident singer which you’ll notice and there’s plenty of mistakes, but not too displeased with how I got through it. Forgive the abrupt end, I couldn’t remember how it finishes ha :joy:

Any advice and feedback, about the good or bad is very welcome​:+1: now just hoping I’ve linked the vid correctly :grimacing::v:

plus

Reckless Serenade - Arctic Monkeys

16 Likes

Wow Lee what a great first post! You certainly didn’t butcher anything. I am always impressed by people who can sing and play finger style at the same time. I am playing about a year longer than you and I really struggle with it. I also really liked your vocals and they really suited the song. Great job and you should be proud!!!

1 Like

You’re very kind :blush: I’ve been more focused on fingerstyle this last month or so after becoming a little frustrated with my strumming skills. I am quite pleased with it but as with most of us here I can be quite critical of myself. Thanks for watching and the kind words of support :v:

1 Like

Hi Lee,

I can only add my words of appreciation and encouragement. Really nicely played and sung. Looking forward to more posts as well!

1 Like

Thanks so much for taking the time to watch and the kind words, much appreciated :v:

Hey Lee, that sounded great. No butchering noticed, sounded pretty accomplished to me. Your travis picking sounded really good. Your singing went with the song well too - I don’t know the song so I’m not comparing to the original, it just sounded like it fitted. Chilled, laid back, great vibe.

I noticed you started posting in the community recently, hope you’re enjoying it.

1 Like

Yeah I was a lurker for too long and just making way around catching up on all the topics :slightly_smiling_face: really glad I started to get more involved as it’s a lovely bunch of people here, it’s inspired me to put more practice in and improve. Thanks for having a listen and appreciate the nice feedback :v:

2 Likes

Nice one Lee, sounding great! :sunglasses: :+1:
As someone who can’t sing at all, I thought your vocals were great and fit really well with the song (not familiar with the original so your interpretation is spot on for me :wink:). Also your fingerstyle seems well practiced and comfortable and, like Eddie said, I think it is most impressive to sing and finger pick simultaneously. Very well done! :clap: :smiley:

1 Like

Absolutely adorable. Well played and your voice hits the nerve in the lyrics. Really well done. When it comes to the music, how you play and sing, you have seriously nothing to feel sad about - I am training finger picking myself, I know it’s not that easy. You should thank yourself you have taken it this far. :+1: :sunglasses: - You are among good buddies here. There are no mistakes in my world. Here it’s called alternative way of playing :wink: :joy: Be kind to the picking hand and it will be more likely to do what you want it to do. - In my world, I look at my hands and fingers as small kids that have to learn to walk. I will never look angry or disappointed at them, because they stumble or fall over. I try my best to encourage them with care and loving kindness. They have for most of my life fed me and wiped my butt. :wink: :joy: Such way of thinking gives me contentment and joy in life, while yet improving by doing practice. - :notes: We all live in a yellow submarine :notes: Keep those songs coming, you are really doing great! :+1: :sunglasses: :pray:

1 Like

Hi Lee ,
The only bad thing is your own comment about the disappointment where you are after 3 years.

For the rest I say, congratulations on your first video … and what a one it is :partying_face: :sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :clap: :man_bowing:
And :sunglasses: :clap: :man_bowing: :smile: :bouquet:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Thank you, Jeff :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve been practicing this one for a couple of weeks, i just follow the advice from Justin about going super slow when learning a new pattern. One chunk at a time very slowly with no mistakes then try speeding up, he knows his stuff lol. Cheers for listening and the positive feedback :v:

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words, I’m definitely learning to be more forgiving to my fingers and brain when learning new things. Thanks for giving it a listen :v:

1 Like

It sounded lovely, great guitar tone and skilful fingerpicking.

1 Like

Thank you Roger :+1: I do regret my comment about my progress after 3yrs, I’m trying to be less critical of myself and in lots of ways I’m quite proud of how I’m progressing, but sometimes the guy who doubts pops in the head and stays for a while. Thank you for taking the time to listen and the lovely comments :v:

1 Like

Thank you Radek, I really appreciate you having a listen :v:

Well, look who’s singing for toffee :rofl:
Glad you decided to come out of the shadows, Lee. That was a great debut.
I’ll have to try that pattern, it sounds lovely. I find it’s the duration of picking that always throws me :roll_eyes: Your low register really suits this song well.
Bravo!

1 Like

Haha :joy: I’m glad to be out of the shadows too, it’s a great bunch of people on here and looking forward to being more involved.

Yeah, the duration thing can be tricky when trying to keep concentration. I find that thinking of the song as parts and not a whole really helps, it stops you thinking ahead and keeps you in the part you’re playing. Really appreciate you having a listen and supportive feedback :v:

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo, Lee, lovely first video.

Sure one or two little hiccups on the playing along the way, but overall the finger-picking was smooth, and it the guitar tone was delicious.

Far easier on the ear as a singer than you credit yourself. I don’t know Beck at all, so no comparison but can’t imagine describing this as butchery, no way.

Look forward to many more like this one now you have broken the duck.

1 Like

Thanks David :+1: yeah I can’t manage a smooth run through yet without a mistake or two but I’m getting closer :crossed_fingers: I was probably being too hard on myself when I typed ‘butchering’, I can be a bit self critical and I’m trying to work on that. Appreciate you listening and the kind words :v:

1 Like

Hi Lee if I could play fingerstyle like that I would be very happy great job

1 Like