Chazzo78 - May 2023 - 1st recordings - Thinking About You (Beck) + Reckless Serenade (Arctic Monkeys)

Hey man, that was a really good debut! No reason to be less than confident in your voice. I enjoyed it and feels like it suited the song well. Maybe experiment with singing out loud a little, felt like you were holding back? I liked the mellow vibe as it was though. Good clean fingerpicking and chord changes. I recognize the “red light syndrome” so well, I always muck up more when the camera is on. Anyways, very well done and keep posting!

1 Like

Thanks for having a listen, Erik :slightly_smiling_face: yeah I’m not a confident singer at all but I’m getting a little better, trying to find songs that I can get away with doing vocals for and being a bit braver. Thank you for the encouragement, it’s really appreciated :v:

Hi Lee,
If this is your first post, it is very good. Your voice reminds me of @CT, who is on here now and then.

Great job… I think it came out really well and for a one off, just a nice job!

Keep up the good vibe and be well!
LB

1 Like

If only I had such a nice voice! @Chazzo78, you do you man. Sounded really good. Nicely done!

1 Like

Thank you both @LBro & @CT :slightly_smiling_face: I really appreciate the nice feedback :+1: I recorded another song today using the MacBook camera, but it recorded through the in built mic instead of the Scarlett :roll_eyes: so the audio is a little quiet, I’ll hopefully start to get used the technology haha I’m a bit of a noob at the mo :v:

You might want to look at Reaper (DAW) for the Mac. I say so as the video how-to library is extensive. You can learn at your own pace in there. Kenny does the videos and has complete how to start vids on the whole deal, plus much more. I know of no other DAW that has such an extensive, well done video library! Most vids are about 10 minutes long and easy to follow… Kenny might be the Justinguitar of DAWs!

Be sure to EXPAND the video sections as there is a ton of videos under all the sub headings!

All the best,
LB

1 Like

Thanks for the advice :+1: I’ve dipped my toe into GarageBand but nothing really extensive so far, just a couple of basic recordings to get familiar with it all. Will have a read up on the Reaper stuff :v:

Been practicing this one quite a lot the last couple of weeks and thought I’d have a go at recording it in GarageBand, then wanted to film it and have a go at combining the audio with the video :weary: I was pleased with the audio recording but because I’m a Luddite it took me forever to work out how put it together haha :joy:

I’m still a noob with the tech so the audio could be a little louder, I didn’t put any reverb or ambience (maybe they were on 1 or 2) but I really didn’t mess with much at all, just turned down the low end a touch because it was pretty bass heavy. Still need to work out other things like mic placement and the basic of all the EQ stuff, but for now just wanted to get a recording under my belt.

Self critique- a few fluffs at the end and the barre chords could be a lot less sloppy. But honestly, I don’t think I could’ve done it better in another 50 takes. Think it’s because I was so concerned the recording was working (as you’ll see from my ‘serous’ face at the end lol) that I just played quite freely.

Cover of Arctic Monkeys ‘Reckless serenade’

Any comments/critiques are very welcome :v:

3 Likes

Hmm… i really like youre laidback mellow style Lee!
Its really plesant and soothing to listen to. Love youre strumming, and how you pick out the strings. It sounds really nice.
Dont know Artic Monkeys much, so i dont think ive heard this one before. Does not matter. You owned this one too.
Voice is also very very good…
well done!

1 Like

Thank you, Trond :slightly_smiling_face: you’re too kind, really :+1: I really appreciate you having a listen and for the nice words :v:

I would never have even got close to having the courage to post a video that people were gonna actually see if it wasn’t for this community, all my thanks go out to you and the other members for being so encouraging, supportive and inspiring :facepunch:

1 Like

Hi Lee,
A big point of criticism… your song deserves a topic of its own(tomorrow was a new month :thinking:)…
I don’t know the song and won’t look it up because I absolutely love your way of singing,
I agree 100% with Trond. …this is really great :sunglasses: :clap: :man_bowing: :bouquet:

In a listening (openmic, sing songwriter) pub this would certainly do well…
Thanks ,Rogier

1 Like

Hi Rogier :wave: many thanks for having a listen and your kind words :slightly_smiling_face: I did think about a new topic but wasn’t sure on what was the best thing to do :grimacing: I think keeping things together in one post will stop me clogging up the thread, and gives other peoples vids a chance to be seen easier.

Thanks again, I see you around the forum and you’re always very kind and supportive to people. Take care :v:

1 Like

Hello Lee, congratulations - these are two wonderful performances :+1::clap::smiley:.
I love your playing and your voice :heart_eyes:. So enjoyable :blush:.
Can‘t wait to hear more from you :star_struck:.

1 Like

Hi, Nicole :wave: thank you for taking the time to listen :slightly_smiling_face: you’re very kind and it’s very much appreciated :v:

1 Like

This sounds wonderful Lee. Nice steady fingerstyle picking with good vocals. :clap:

1 Like

Cheers, Mark :slightly_smiling_face: appreciate you taking the time to listen and the kind words :v:

Lee, that was a great first AVOYP. I can tell that you have been playing acoustic for many years. The fingerpicking was very smooth and clearly picked and the your voice fit well with the mood of the song. You should have been posting sooner. Thanks for introducing me to another song to try to play.

1 Like

Thank you, Steve :slightly_smiling_face: yeah I definitely should’ve got involved with the community much sooner, it’s really inspired me this last month reading other peoples stories and watching their vids. I still have a couple of voice memos from when I first started just to remind myself how I’m improving, but I do wish I’d documented the whole journey better.

Thanks for listening and glad I could introduce you to a new song for you to try :v:

1 Like

Lee, that was brilliant. I’ve never heard the Artic Monkeys sound so good. I loved your very laid back style. Great playing and singing.

Now, more importantly, are you related to Trond? :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, Stefan :slightly_smiling_face: haha I suppose the beard and tattoos bring a certain familiarity :joy: I’ll take it as a compliment as he seems like a nice guy along with being a handsome devil :wink:

Thanks again for having a listen :v:

1 Like