Chose your own adventure?

Hi all,

Looking for some perspectives here. I’m just about wrapping up module 17. I’ve found since jumping into the Orange there is a new skill in each module, some of which are going to take some practice.
Some of these I can already feel are going to be very relevant to me others less so. As a guy who loves punk and 80s style rock, The ones I’m finding use for:

• scales joining chords
  • plucking strings while strumming

Some I’ve found less relevant:

• finger style
  • peel offs

I know the answer in general will be put effort into the things you are going to use most but I was keen to hear some perspectives on what things should t be dismissed before say moving to intermediate level guitar. What skills seem to crop up often even if not immediately apparent?

Cheers all

PS I say the above then go against my own words as I am commuting to getting happy birthday finger-style to memory, in time for my little girls 3rd birthday on the 17th.

2 Likes

That seems to happen to me on a regular basis, in that something will come along that I really want to play, and will require a particular skill that isn’t part of my ‘standard’ repertoire.

(I’ve been working on fingerstyle for a while now as I want to play a couple of tunes that really require it!)

1 Like

It happens to me all the time :joy:

I started almost 3 years ago, and I think I started to have clearer ideas about the future path(s) of my guitar journey about a year in. Sometimes I wish I had 2 or 3 goals I could set in stone, but then where would all the fun and unplanned discoveries go?

My current ideas are:

Do all of Justin’s lessons on strumming and rhythm - this is something I wasn’t very diligent about
Music theory all the way - I’m now in grade 5 of the course and it’s still very interesting
Fingerpicking - continue the Folk Fingerstyle module
Transcribing - this sort of happens every time I manage to “decipher” a short phrase or melody. It gets easier with time.

Longer-term goals:

Delve into Justin’s lessons on jazz guitar
Funk guitar - if my fingers can keep up

1 Like