Closing the loop(er)

@sairfingers thanks and as you can hear, I settled on the loop well before achieving anything that anybody might consider to be ‘perfect’ (even in quotes). By now I’m sure all are accustomed to my warts-an-all recordings :laughing:

I shall but nibble at the Beatles bait and say I’d be hearing Marrakesh rather than the Maharishi and imagining Keef and Anita living it up there after ditching Brian (Jones of course not Larsen)

1 Like

I too like the middle eastern flavor. I have had a looper for a couple of years now and haven’t accomplished much on it. I think, ok know, that it kind of intimidates me. Great Job!

1 Like

Yes I can totally relate to that David. I find the fact that - surprise surprise - the loop keeps repeating, I keep wanting to improve it so I redo and redo it and then end up accidentally deleting it or overwriting the one I wanted to keep. :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

1 Like

Agreed, first you learn to hit go and stop in the correct place, next you get the tempo at the start and end of loop to match up. Then it starts to feel good.

Beyond that, I’m still learning myself. - will post some when I get back onto the blues lead course….

@TheCluelessLuthier thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Using the looper is like everything else … seemingly near impossible when you start but with the usual perseverance, I expect it will eventually become something one can do, like the F chord.

@sairfingers the thing that got me was the fact that you can only undo the last overdub on the Ditto. So building up layers can take some time, and need to be happy with each one before moving on. And I just settle on something that is good enough, not necessarily perfect. I expect over time I will get better.

@liaty hitting the switch without it disturbing my play is something to get used to. It shouldn’t be so hard to be tapping the foot next to the pedal and then shift over to tap the switch, but it is. But I can’t complain since this was literally the results of the first time trying. Not following what you mean by matching up the tempo at start and end. Based on your recordings shared to date, I’m looking forward to your posting.

@DavidP
You’ve probably already seen this lesson but maybe others haven’t.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Gordon.

I’d seen the lesson. Top tip I took from that was to start playing your loop, get into the groove, and then when ready start and stop the looper.

Yours sounded fine in the clip @DavidP I found that when I finally got a nice ‘jump free’ loop, I would have either sped up or slowed down from when I started the recording and when I ended it. Because you are joining(looping :slight_smile:) the end back onto the start, while you don’t really notice a drift in speed as you are playing along, it can be pretty obvious when transitioning from the end of the loop back to the beginning. Just something else to think about.

…enter Justin’s metronome lessons…

Like I say, no issues with this one, a great tool for learning.

Ah, got you David. I was recording the loop over a drum track, which I think helped to keep a relatively steady tempo and rhythm … relatively.

Biggest issue for me is to be able to keep playing smoothly as I hit the start and stop, causes just a slight hiccup in my (relatively) smooth playing.

Lots of relatively flying around :rofl:

Theory of Relativity. E =mc2

1 Like

Nicely done David and well done on the looper.

That had a really nice Egyptian feel to me, loved it.

1 Like

@SgtColon glad you enjoyed it, lots of fun and learning to be had with looper!

Well that was interesting David and a good start…I guess ideally you’d want to record the drum track to the looper so that you can keep that perfectly tight with your playing. I think I will have to have a play one day with my Trio+ for that…I rarely use the looper function at all.

1 Like

Thanks Jason.

Don’t think I can record the drums into the looper, but in theory as long as I keep the drums playing while I record the loop it should be OK. I suppose there could be some latency associated with playing through the looper and it being amplified.

What you usually get - and why they built the looper into the Trio+ - is a slow drift on the time…so the longer you play the more out of sync you’ll br from a loop perspective. I didn’t notice anything I have to admit but itll be interesting to see how you get on.

Ah, that makes sense, Jason. At this stage it is likely to be short looped sections for noodling. So cycling back pretty quickly. In the future a 12BBs progression. Maybe I’ll pick up the drift when I get to that. Shan’t fuss about it for now as that is like some ways off.