Completely stuck with the F chord

Just so nobody feels lonely, I’ll come in and say I am another one that has been working on my F chords for more than a year. I have no suggestions other than persistence, which seems to be what will eventually work, at least for me.

It took a month or 2 for slow finger placement of the bar chord to get all the strings ringing, and OMC’s since then. I have also had times when it seemed to stop working altogether and I had to go back to get the bar chord back again. Lately I have had a couple of times where I was able to get the F on a chord change(slow tempo) without fumbling.

I think once I get this down, I may miss my daily F chord practice… :smirk:

1 Like

You left a clue here that may answer your own question. Not putting the other three fingers into position will make barring the 1st fret far more difficult. This is why most, even advanced, players roll their middle finger on top of their index finger when playing an Fm. Fretting the other three strings will make it easier to barre the chord. Practice by putting all of your fingers in the proper position.
The other advice I read here that will likely help is to play a G or an A further up on the neck (exact same shape, just a different position). After you can do those consistently, revisit the F.

Thanks!

Thats a good tip also try pulling your elbow into your body, I aim for the bottom of the ribs it works for me, I also tried playing the chord standing up which sounded good then back to sitting down, now got it sounding out most times, I am usng Fmaj7/c for songs but the full barre chord sounds better with the bass string in it. Hope this helps

Dave, I just started my journey with F chord and I have precisely the same problem. I wish I could you give you advice and help but sadly I cannot. The only thing I can say, keep at it and may be one day you get a breakthrough and will teach me how to do this F-chord. Cheers,
Eugene.

As someone who went through this earlier this year and now can play the F quite well, I think there are two major things that can have a massive impact on how easy it is to learn the F chord that some beginners overlook:

1. Learn it on an electric. Justin does recommend learning on electrics early in grade 1, but I see a lot of learners on the community learning on acoustics. He strongly recommends electrics in the F chord lesson as well.
  2. Replace your standard acoustic strings with lighter gauge .11s or .10s

Cheap acoustic guitars are some of the hardest guitars to play. Justin even has a video on one. You need to press down with more force.

Learning the F is both a hand co-ordination AND a strength thing. What’s the best way to build strength? Not start on the heaviest weights you can. Start on a lighter weight and build up, while working on your technique too. The way you do this on guitar is start with an instrument that’s easier to fret, and the simplest way to make it easier to fret is to have lighter strings (lighter acoustic gauge), or both better setup & lighter strings (an electric is lower action and usually has 9s or 10s).

5 Likes